Recording High Gain Amplifiers

A4syth2654

In the past when recording heavy guitar tracks, the distortion seemed to lose all of its tone when recorded and just sounds like someone tearing Velcro...haha.. I'm using a mesa rectoverb, and an egnater armageddon and running them through a 1960 lead cab and a 2x12 with vintage 30s.. What is the best approach at recording and getting a rich, full, heavy sound, like Soundgarden's Superunknown album?? ...Should I be dialing back the gain while recording?... im using audio technica ATM250 mics, an audix i5, and sm57... Thanks!

Yes you are probably using too much gain, too much high end/presence, or both. And don't scoop the mids.

Should I be dialing back the gain while recording?

Definitely!
I'm not recommending that you do it, but if you put your ear 2" from the amp and played, it'd sound exactly like your recordings.
Thin and fizzy, right?

Pull the gain back about half way, record, and see what it's like.

hahaha thanks guys!! and dont worry im not scooping the mids.. haha.. i used to when i was like 16 because i thought it sounded amazing, but now im 25 and know that all the tone is in the mids... Ummmm also, I've never recorded heavy track directly out of a amp head?? do you recommend this?? or does the mic give the recording a fuller vibe??

hahaha thanks guys!! and dont worry im not scooping the mids.. haha.. i used to when i was like 16 because i thought it sounded amazing, but now im 25 and know that all the tone is in the mids... Ummmm also, I've never recorded heavy track directly out of a amp head?? do you recommend this?? or does the mic give the recording a fuller vibe??

Mic = better

Rather than risk MK1 lug at the cab listen on headphones!

I have read many times that you want less distortion (which equates roughly with less gain) than you think you do.
Also, check out Sound on Sound AUG 07.

Dave.

I said "I'm not recommending that you do it" to make a hypothetical point.
It served to illustrate to the OP that what his ears hear 6 feet back and 45 degrees of axis is not the same as what the mic hears 2" from the grill.

I said "I'm not recommending that you do it" to make a hypothetical point.
It served to illustrate to the OP that what his ears hear 6 feet back and 45 degrees of axis is not the same as what the mic hears 2" from the grill.

OOOO! Bit swift with the old edit there Mr S? It is a foible of this PC (I thought it was IE8 but I am now Chrome) that I get a preview of people's posts. So I have a copy!

Dave.

I originally said
"Yes Dave, that's exactly what I said, word for word.
I was suggesting that the OP get down on his hands and knees and actually listen. :facepalm:"

and then thought there was no need for that kind of sarcasm.

What's your point here? My point was obvious. No need to pull me up on it.

I originally said
"Yes Dave, that's exactly what I said, word for word.
I was suggesting that the OP get down on his hands and knees and actually listen. :facepalm:"

and then thought there was no need for that kind of sarcasm.

What's your point here? My point was obvious. No need to pull me up on it.

Sorry if I offended you, not my intention.

I just thought I would mention the fact that I get deleted posts, dunno why and in another forum some guy was being a reet a' hole and claimed certain things then backed out. I had the posts to prove it.

Once again, profuse apologies.

Dave.

Your comment just made it sound like I gave bad advice; Of course the OP should NOT put his ear up to a cab.
Eugh, Maybe I over reacted.

I love a limey fight. You slap each other with a white glove and then have tea and biscuits. So civilized. In america, a fight aint over until 67 people have been shot.

Ever see the British drive-by on family guy?

Just an english dude hanging out a car window shouting "Oh, Gerald.....I disagree!"

Ever see the British drive-by on family guy?

Just an english dude hanging out a car window shouting "Oh, Gerald.....I disagree!"

Lol. I also like how the english use too many adverbs and descriptive words. It's never simply "that movie was bad". Instead, the english say things like "that movie was mind-numblingly unequivocally and horrendously the most ghastly piece of film ever released onto the weary and unsuspecting public I've ever had the most unfortunate displeasure of having sear through my most unhappy pupils and searing it's horribly nauseating image onto my agonized retinas."

Back