Recording guitar question in Home studio

George Adey

Bit of a newbie here - My current setup is guitar to an Alesis MicroVerb 4 into my USB audio interface to Logic Pro X.

I have been thinking about buying a Fender amp so I can mic it up and run the mic to my USB audio interface.

Will the quality be much better from Micing up and amp as opposed to running through the Alesis into the USB?

Or will I be able to get away with the second option when it comes to mixing etc

thanks

Well...it will sound more like a guitar played through an amp....though I assume you're now applying some sort of "amp plugin" to the guitar track...?

How much better one will sound over the other has several variables...so it's not a clear yes/no...but speaking for myself, I prefer to mic amps when I record guitar. Other folks like the plugin route.

Well...it will sound more like a guitar played through an amp....though I assume you're now applying some sort of "amp plugin" to the guitar track...?

How much better one will sound over the other has several variables...so it's not a clear yes/no...but speaking for myself, I prefer to mic amps when I record guitar. Other folks like the plugin route.

Thanks for replying. Yeah I would be using the Microverb for the effect I wanted and then a basic amp simulation in Logic. I would rather Mic it up though but I need to find a smallish amp that still sounds good (only need a good clean channel) and if I can record something that sounds not too bad at a lower volumes as I have room mates!!!!

Well, a lot of those $100 amps can do well over USB and it is nice to get the speaker MICed, also. Make sure the amp has the clean you want. People can get pretty picky over clean

I would rather Mic it up though but I need to find a smallish amp that still sounds good (only need a good clean channel)

For tracking into your DAW, nothing is "cleaner" than a line-in. Truly clean. If you want "Fender clean" then you'll need to either download some trial versions of the latest guitar virtualization software (Amplitube. Guitar Rig, etc) and see if their clean is suitable, or buy a Fender amp. Neither solution is particularly cheap, although the flexibility and other amps/effects that come with the virtual software more than justifies the $150+.

If you don't *need* an amp and to me it doesn't sound like you do (or have a good space for using it much), then pocket that money and/or put it to use somewhere else where you'll get more value from it.

...."can record something that sounds not too bad at a lower volumes as I have room mates"!!!!

As it was for myself, at the beginning of the year, I went with the Peavey VIP-1 20-watt. My only peave is that the output volume is touchy between 0 and 1. I think I have 8 amps to choose clean from, plus emulation of Bass and Acoustic guitars

For clean tones, amp sims can do pretty good. It's when you add in heavy distortion that an amp sim can't compete against a mic'd up amp. To me, adding reverb before the amp sim is doing things backwards. Forget the Microverb. Use an amp sim then use a reverb plug as a send on the guitar track.

I am a fan of the floor pedal amp sim. I had been using the Digitech RP-150 for years until I got a plug-in I like.

Hi George.
Just a few observations from some time faffing about as 'engineer' for guitarist son (WEM Dominator clone, much modded, various speakers, various mics inc' RB ribbon and SM57) and the best part of ten years reading JUST these sort of posts!

1) 'We' found that a good tone from a 15W amp only really happened at a Sound Pressure Level of around 90dB and to put that in context? Rather louder than the average 40" FSTV will go and definitely in the 'turn that fekker down!' area for those sharing a house! 90dB IS however acceptable to most neighbours outside the house providing you don't do it at 11pm and for a loooong time!

2) Getting a good tone IN THE RECORDING is harder than you might think even if it sounds good in the room. Lot of mic adjustments, listening on cans can help*.

3) Remember, you can always mic up the amp AND make a DI recording. You need to split the guitar signal. Look for 'DI' boxes.
The resultant two tracks will not be time aligned so if you just mixed them you would get weird results but most DAW software allows you to 'slide' one track to marry up.

4) *Tricky to play/listen/jodrell about with mic? AHA! Try 'RE-Amping'! This involves making a very clean DI'ed track and then feeding that from the AI into the amp and then capturing the sound. Obviously the clip can be looped and you can play around with the mic to your heart's...Another advantage is that you can work on getting a really bang on clip silently all night and then run the amp when it is socially acceptable to do so.

Rock on.

Dave.

90 dB clean may be too much in a dorm or barracks. The little Vox has a 1/4-watt setting, but with something like my Peavey, it is more like a VST/i into your monitors

Back