Recording Drums - Setup

Drummer4Life05

Say Something Smart!
Ok, I'm new here and I think I might be catching on, but I have a few questions on a drum recording setup. I was originally going to use a Digital MultiTrack Recorder to record on, but I need at least 8 mic-inputs, and the cheapest module was about $3,000. So now I'm looking into computer-based recording. I know that the mi's go into a mixer, and the mixer into the sound card. Correct so far? But I have a few questions at this point: which onw do I use? And what kind of inputs? And when I record into the computer, will I be able to modify each individual track that is mic'ed? Doesn't that depend on how many inputs the sound card has?

Whew, well, let me know if you have any suggestions or links to help me out. I apologize in advance if this has been asked/answered a million times before, just point me in the right direction. :-)

Thanks,
Justin

If you want to keep each of the 8 channels on seperate tracks, then you need a soundcard with 8 inputs, and software that can record 8 channels simultaneously. But you can mix them down to fewer channels through a mixer.

What is your budget?

Thanks for the swift reply, Dan. :-)
That's what I thought, so I guess I'm on the right track!

I don't really have a budget because I'm just getting a feel for all of this, but what would you reccomend I get for my needs? (ex: 8 track mixer, software, & soundcard)

Thanks,
Justin

Great, thanks a million, Dan!

Now, another question: USB Audio Interfaces? What are they all about? It's just like a soundcard, only through USB?

Thanks,
Justin

USB interfaces are used instead of a PCI soundcard, but I don't know of any that will handle 8 channels in. There may be some, though.

Just thought you should know - You could get very fine results mixing those 8 drum mics down to two or four channels, if you need to keep your costs down.

Thanks Dan!

Dan - Thanks so much for the helpful tips and links! You have greatly helped out an extreme newbie at PC-Based recording. You are the man!

Anyone else have any suggestions? I like more than one point of view.

-Justin

them delta's, they record how many seperate tracks at a time? i get confused by the in/out and preamps. you need a mixer with preamps for them delta's, right? the aardvark you don't need a mixer/pre and have all the preamps on it seperated on different tracks? should i look for how many preamps are on the card to tell me how many seperat tracks i can record at a time? i'm confused

i need atleast 8 tracks for drums seperated, what options do i have, are the preamps on the aardvark better than average mixer/pre's. i'll spring for the aarvark rather than buying $300 card and then an affordable mixer.

You are correct, sir!

You would have to use a mixer with preamps to use 8 mics with the Delta.

If you don't have a mixer already, and you need 8 preamps I would suggest the Aardvark. The preamps are pretty good.

For audio and midi work, Cakewalk Sonar or Pro Audio 9, Steinberg Cubase or Nuendo, and Logic Audio are the most popular choices.

For audio only you might look into Cool Edit Pro or Samplitude.

Each has a different feel to it.

I would suggest you download trial versions and see which fits your style. All of them are capable of pro quality work.

Back