Recording drums at home 8 or more outputs

gwr310188

Hello guys
New to this and sorry if this the wrong thread or been done before

I just need some info on recording drums at home

Ive been out the game for about ten years now, and if noticed a lot has changed, i used to run a descent home studio when living my my rents but i sold all my gear years ago, but I've decided to start again about ten years on. I used to run an analog Behringer 24.8.2 euro desk, loved it and i had 8 bus to play with which went in to an M-Audio Delta 1010LT and used pro tools, loved this system and worked great for me, but as I've moved out and have a family i don't have the room to keep this sort of gear anymore

I would like some advise on what to get so i can record in to logic on my mac mini/mac laptop, which can be USB and record 8 multi tracks or more, ive been looking at the behringer usb mixing desk but correct me if im wrong they only have 2 outputs via USB??? ive also looked at the Behringer FIREPOWER FCA1616 but ive never used an audio interface before as it was all analog when i was doing it and digital was really expensive back in the day.

Would i best to get and audio interface or a mixing desk with multi outputs via USB???

or is there any other option, must have 8 or more multi track outputs and must be USB or firewire?? As i need this to record a whole drum kit???

I hope this all makes sense

Thanks
George

Tascam and others make multi-input interfaces that would be okay for mic'ing a kit (8+ inputs). But really, electronic kits have come a long way and depending on what your needs are, you might be better off with that (takes up less space, no mics needed, easy to modify/correct whoopsies via midi in the recording software, etc). Roland V-drums with mesh heads are great substitutes for the real thing.

I don't see much benefit to a mixing desk (outboard) when you can have the same controls on the computer screen. IMO this is all a preference thing, but I don't care about touching knobs which I know there's home recorders who still want racks full of outboard gear and lots of knobs. I say - do as little as you can outside the computer. It's all going to end up in the computer at some point anyway.

Behringer has a pretty solid entry level option in the U-Phoria UMC1820. There's the Tascam US16x08 as well. Or the Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, or the PreSonus Audiobox 1818VSL. They're all solid and affordable with decent preamps that should serve any home studio well. I'm sure there are several other options in that similar price range under $500 that have 8 built-in preamps. So you've got several options.

And I think that all of these have ADAT connectivity so you can connect up to 8 more preamps from something like the Behringer ADA-8200 if you need the extra inputs/outputs.

Thanks for the reply, I've got an acoustic kit, so electric kit is a no go, I'm not bothered about a mixing desk like you say it can all be done on the computer, what would be the best interface for the job?? Would the Behringer FIREPOWER FCA1616 work or is there any over good options??

I don't know about the Behringer stuff as they used to have a really bad reputation, don't know if they have gotten better or not. Focusrite and presonus get better reviews. You can do 8 channels with USB these days.

As others have said, no need for a mixer. Go raw into the computer and mix from there.

Don't forget about monitors and room treatment.

Welcome to the site!! :)

Thanks Chili, looking forward to getting back in to it, what models for the 2 you said, I'm so out of touch with this

Thanks Chili, looking forward to getting back in to it, what models for the 2 you said, I'm so out of touch with this

Check out these suggestions (did you miss their reply?)...

Behringer has a pretty solid entry level option in the U-Phoria UMC1820. There's the Tascam US16x08 as well. Or the Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, or the PreSonus Audiobox 1818VSL. They're all solid and affordable with decent preamps that should serve any home studio well. I'm sure there are several other options in that similar price range under $500 that have 8 built-in preamps. So you've got several options.

And I think that all of these have ADAT connectivity so you can connect up to 8 more preamps from something like the Behringer ADA-8200 if you need the extra inputs/outputs.

You will want to look around the forum for previous threads on monitors to buy and an entire field of science behind sound treatment (although entry level will be more basic than what many have chosen for their own home studios).

from the out of the Behringer UMC 1820 to the in of the Behringer ADA8200??? And this will auto connect and the Mac will pick this up???

so just to make sure im correct im going from the from the out of the Behringer ADA8200 to the in of the Behringer UMC 1820??? And Logic on my mac will pick the up via USB???

When using the ADAT inputs, be sure to set your clock source to ADAT. If you are only using one optical cable. I am not certain if using two will change this as I have only connected on my rig. And then you have to remember to switch the clock source back to internal when you are not using the ADAT inputs. If you hear odd pops on playback you can be sure that your clock source is set on the wrong choice.

I am now curious about this because you made me notice something...

I use 2 UR824's and a ADA8000. The main UR824 'WCLK' is set to Internal. The ADAT slave UR824 WCLK is set to 'ADAT A' -but the light is flashing on the unit.

BNC cables connected between all units and the 'ADAT B' Behringer BNC selector is set to 'Slave'.

All seems to work fine but I am wondering what is up with the blinking light...

Any thoughts?

I also posted on Steinberg's hardware forum but that place is like a deserted Island...

Have you checked out the Behringer X-Air 18? For $500 or less you get 18 inputs via usb and six independently configurable sub-mixes that you can use for separate headphone mixes. The preamps are based off of Midas preamps, one of the companies they bought. I used to use a Soundcraft board hooked up to two Delta 1010's and a Delta 1010LT. I got rid of those and got this and honestly believe that I'm getting a better recorded sound. As for the quality debate, that might've been true 10 years ago, but Behringer has purchased a number of reputable audio companies; including Midas, Tannoy, TC Electronics, Bugera, etc. and their products have benefited from it.

I am now curious about this because you made me notice something...

I use 2 UR824's and a ADA8000. The main UR824 'WCLK' is set to Internal. The ADAT slave UR824 WCLK is set to 'ADAT A' -but the light is flashing on the unit.

BNC cables connected between all units and the 'ADAT B' Behringer BNC selector is set to 'Slave'.

All seems to work fine but I am wondering what is up with the blinking light...

Any thoughts?

I also posted on Steinberg's hardware forum but that place is like a deserted Island...

There's wordclock sync in the ADAT stream as well as on the BNC wordclock connection. I can't tell from your description if you're really syncing from the BNC or through the ADAT.

Back