Recording Drums With Alesis Multimix 4 USB

scoreking81

Ok so i got an alesis usb multimix 4 and some drum mics for christmas and up to now i have just been recording thru audacity for basic youtube stuff, but now im in a band and we want to get some decent recording done so i need to get this figured out. My problem is that i cant figure out how to get each input on the multimix to record into its own track on the computer. When I record into audacity it is all the tracks mixed down into 1 so I cant mess with levels of individual drums from the computer. i was wondering if there is something I can configure on audacity to get this done and I also have a copy of FL Studio so if there is an easier way to get this done on that let me know or if there are any other programs i should look into.
Thanks, Winston

Can't do it.
That Alesis is a mixer - which takes multiple inputs and mixes them into a stereo pair - with a digital out via USB. That digital out is just the stereo pair the mixer has mixed, same stereo pair that comes out of the main outs except in digital form.

Best you can do is two separate tracks at a time, by panning one entirely left and the other entirely right, then splitting the stereo mix you get via usb into two channels and treating those two tracks as mono tracks in your DAW.

yeah. i have the Alesis MultiMix USB 2.0 which records seperate tracks and comes with the right software for that. It's like $300 new. Yours isn't "2.0" so it doesn't do that.

you have this http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Alesis-MultiMix-8USB-Mixer-with-USB-and-DSP?sku=630166 which is what i have

what you need is this http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Alesis-MultiMix-8-USB-2.0-8Channel-Mixer?sku=801473

its the same it just unloads each channel into its own digital track which is what you want to do. i hate the mulitmix 1.0 for that reason cuz its hard mixing drums without a lot of outboard gear. being able to digitally manipulate each mic is ideal if you don't have access to a lot of outboard.

If your still using this I would just either upgrade to the 2.0 or fastrack 8 or I would make the best of what I could out of it using the eqs and trying to mix a decent live sounding drum on your mixer I would put all the cymbals and hat on it's own pan and put kick toms and snare on another and thats once I cut all the frequency to get the best recording then I would get a couple plugins a good multiband compressor and theres a free 32 band eq I like to use I don't know it's name but just mess with that once on board you should get something also try utilizing the mixers reverb and mix in the fx while your there. my 2 cents

Back