Recording a (digital) keyboard

I think its more of a case that people are thinking they need to jump on the mark, and/or, they don't know it is there and can be turned off.

Ya I only have one keybed that is any good in that regard - the old Kawai K1. I can mess around with other setups, but when I want that one note, it usually a fail. Everything else is synth/organ action. I'm not saying the K1 is the best, but Kawai does make the Piano, and, A. Piano and E. Piano would have been important in that era. Meaning it was entry level

Thanks for all the explanations ..."" Cool! Back in the day my midi performance when played through a module IMO sounded robotic.
Probably because you listened to it through a highly inferior sound card, like the one in your PC.

Some models of Yamaha keyboards have-- or used to have-- a feature where the parts or channels of a style could play back with minute variations in the timing, to help them sound more like they're being played by humans. I'm not sure whether Yamaha still provides that feature in their current models-- none of the models that I own have it-- but some DAWs have a similar feature that lets you "unquantize" a selection by nudging the MIDI events off of the exact beats by random amounts.

Some models of Yamaha keyboards have-- or used to have-- a feature where the parts or channels of a style could play back with minute variations in the timing, to help them sound more like they're being played by humans. I'm not sure whether Yamaha still provides that feature in their current models-- none of the models that I own have it-- but some DAWs have a similar feature that lets you "unquantize" a selection by nudging the MIDI events off of the exact beats by random amounts.

I think Yamaha is a gas for those "features" of one sort, or, another over the years. On my newer stuff, I'll see some kind of swing implementation, though I understand that goes back to the '80s ?

I suppose a onboard song sequencer doing 64 can really be 128

Probably because you listened to it through a highly inferior sound card, like the one in your PC.

Actually it was played back through a pretty expensive at the time sound module .......a Korg M3r it had some awesome sounds when triggered by a midi keyboard but the midi recorded in cakewalk at the time when played back did not reflect the original performance....robotic non human....

I think Yamaha is a gas for those "features" of one sort, or, another over the years. On my newer stuff, I'll see some kind of swing implementation, though I understand that goes back to the '80s ?

I suppose a onboard song sequencer doing 64 can really be 128

Yes, that's it-- "swing"! I couldn't remember what they called it, but I knew I'd seen it mentioned in the manuals for some of their older models. I know it's not on the PSR-E models-- but then, in some respects the PSR-E models aren't even as good as some of the old PSR models. The PSR-E models have "XGlite," whereas the PSR models had XG-- unless they predated XG. Some XG voices used two elements, but XGlite voices use only one element, and XGlite doesn't have the variation or insertion effect. Also, I don't think XGlite supports portamento and all of the XG SysEx and NRPN messages.

Yeah, I used to record the audio and midi coming off my keyboard, edit the flubs, then play the midi back through the keyboard and re-record the audio. Works great. You still get the human feel because it is human. Cheating?? Nah, just another tool in the toolbox.

What keyboard are you thinking of getting?

.."What keyboard are you thinking of getting"?

Well, there is enough out there to make it almost impossible to decide on a first set of keys. Last I heard, he used "synth" for the first time.

I had one hell of a time buying $500 keys last year and it is a model from 2012 ( ? )

If I could of got some sort of extended store brokered financing, it would of been the $500 Waldorf module, no second thoughts. Not to be : (

Back