The setup I have is:
Microkorg
Arturia MiniLab (keyboard)
Korg Volca Sample
Tascam 4-track cassette
Behringer mixer
Ableton Live
Audio interface (Tascam)

In the recent past I've used either exclusively analog or exclusively with Midi controllers on Ableton but now I would like to mix. I want to record my tracks onto cassette and I'm wondering the best way to do this. I can obviously record the Korg instruments directly but I want to know how is best to record with the minilab. I can't record directly into th cassette I think as it's a controller, is it possible / how is the best way to get around this? Can I record the parts into Ableton and somehow put this onto cassette? How could I do this? Something like using the audio interface as an OUT from the USB after I've recording the parts and 1/4 cables from the interface into the 4-track? Does this work? Sorry, very new to this!

Thanks in advance!

How many outputs does your interface have?
Out from your interface to In on the 4-track... I'd get your Ableton stuff down to tape first...

Hi Ryan and welcome.
Couple of questions: Does the Tascam allow 4 track recording? Some machines would HOLD 4 discrete tracks but you had to lay them down two at a time. (this process continued with digital recorder. Advertised as 16trackers say but you could only grab 8 at a time)

Assuming you can record 4 tracks to cassette the interface needs to have 4 discrete outputs. After that it is just cables, most likely RCA "phono" to phono.

Model numbers please!

Dave.

If the mini lab is just a controller, what are you trying to record? It doesn't make any sound.

What are you using to create the sounds that you play with the controller? If the answer is VST instruments in ableton, then just plug the outputs of the interface into the 4 track and play. There is no reason to record it into ableton, just play through it as if it was a sound module.

Back