Recorder with 4 pre amp inputs ?

CamCoding

Hi, Newbie here. I've Googled this site, Amazon and the general internet. Your input on this site has already helped me greatly so I'm turning to you for some help, please.
Currently have a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. It is connected to a Mac ibook G4. (iOS 10.5.8) Other equipment, 3 mics, 1 Roland Street Cube, 1 12 string guitar. As you know the 2i2 has 2 inputs. I'm able to input my guitar into the Mac. The G4 is severely limited. I am able to send signal into the 2i2 and then into the G4. I then transfer the recording on a thumb drive to my PC where I can edit using Ableton. I am not making CD's. I am recording the guitar and my voice to get better at busking and singing in public (usually small venues, the busking I do at light rail stops). The revenue from this is considered, "just a hobby."
What I'd like to do.
Replace the G4 with a recording device. Records onto an SD card.
The recording device must have 4 inputs (not 4 channels but 4 places to plug in mics, guitar, output from Street Cube.)
I don't need a 4 channel USB Audio Interface. I record in a small room and my PC is in the office, wife and son not interested in hearing me play and sing while they are on their computers. And did I mention recording onto the G4 is painful, slow and not really much fun.
AND here's the thing, I am aware of the Roland R44E, however, $795 (Amazon on this day) is like divorce bait, so is the $600 Tascam DR-690MKII (6 balanced mic/line inputs, both are way cool and would get the job done and me living in my car.). ALMOST: Tascam DP 006, 6 "track" but only 2 inputs, plus the built in high quality condenser mic. Tascam DP 03SD, 2 XLR, one 1/4 in line, one 1/4 in line/inst. This comes pretty close, $220 BUT, "you can only record 2 simultaneously" and I really need to record all 4 at the same time.
Inputs: guitar with 3 high quality peizo's 1/4 in cable, 1 XML V67G mic need phantom, output from Street Cube on 1/4 in, 1 Nady CM90 needs phantom.
Yes, I'm looking for a bargain. Hope you can help a brutha out.

If you don't need super high end mic preamps look for a used Zoom R16 maybe.
8 mic/line inputs, two with 48v phantom power. Channel one has a HiZ switch.
Records to SD card with each channel getting its own .wav file within a project.
Just remove the SD and put the files in your DAW as usual.
Zoom R16 can also be an 8 channel audio interface through USB.
Probably find it for under $300 used.

If you don't need super high end mic preamps look for a used Zoom R16 maybe.
8 mic/line inputs, two with 48v phantom power. Channel one has a HiZ switch.
Records to SD card with each channel getting its own .wav file within a project.
Just remove the SD and put the files in your DAW as usual.
Zoom R16 can also be an 8 channel audio interface through USB.
Probably find it for under $300 used.

I scored a used R24 in new condition for $329 from B&H Photo, so an R16 for less than $300 shouldn't be hard to find.

Back