Recorded levels are lowwwwwwwww.

Hi Eleanor,
What scales or meters are you using to get those numbers?
Can you tell us what interface/chain, software...anything else that's relevant?
Thanks.

If I record a track at about -6 peak, the recorded result will be 15 db. lower. What am I doing wrong?
Thanks

There's a guy over in the Analog forum who records at -20...and it comes out 3 times louder on playback.

Maybe you guys can get together. :D ;)

Check your settings and then re-check your settings...and then once more check your settings. :)

In Studio One, the channel fader, during recording, shows about -6ish. On playback, the same fader shows around -18, -20ish.

In Studio One, the channel fader, during recording, shows about -6ish. On playback, the same fader shows around -18, -20ish.

This can happen if you are NOT using ASIO drivers and are letting Windows yank your audio chain.

PLEASE! Give us chapter and verse on ALL the gear in the recording chain. If it does not come with its own ASIO drivers you might have some luck with ASIO4ALL or look deeply into Windows Audio settings, something will be turned down.

Dave.

You have to callibrate all volumes within your system so they fit on each other.

(offtopic: constatating in this topic that i'm glad this forum has an ignore list to filter out bullsh*t reactions :facepalm: . Can it be implemented that those reaction not also appear in quites??)

Both AudioBox and babyface have the same problem. So, I went to Device Manager>Sound, Video and Game controllers>AudioBox 44VSL Audio>Properties>Driver>Driver details. The driver details all seem to refer to Microsoft drivers and/or files. When I run the Babyface, all the same (MS) drivers are there as with the AudioBox, but the RME drivers are there as well, all under Babyface device.

Under Studio One setup, there is a box with ASIO on it, pictured in "Setup" for the RME. Studio One AudioBox setup has a picture, but no specific mention of ASIO.

Don't have an Audio Box, Studio One nor an RME (slurp!) but, AFAIK the settings for W7 as attached hold for any ASIO device?

Rather tricky "snapping" the same meter reading for record and playback but the levels on cans were identical.

I also noticed Eleanor that you wrote "faders". Was that a slip of the qwerty and you meant "meters"?

Dave.

Attachments

• KA6 setup.png
    KA6 setup.png
    234.1 KB · Views: 10
  • KA6 rec setup.png
    KA6 rec setup.png
    241.1 KB · Views: 13
  • KA6 rec level.png
    KA6 rec level.png
    111.2 KB · Views: 9
  • Ka6 play level.png
    Ka6 play level.png
    127.5 KB · Views: 5
Thanks for posting that, ecc83. I checked, and those settings on my system are OK.

The guy at my local recording shop offered the opinion that perhaps my "meters were set to pre-fader." I have to figure out what that means.

Actually, mine is exactly the same. I had an Audiobox but changed over to the 2i2. I'm still running Studio One 2 Pro.

This is what happens...

Ill set up two guitar channels, L and R, and apply Amplitibe to both. I'll hit the record button on each channel and start playing. Those two channels usually show a ton of volume on their meters, but the master out channel is much lower. The end result is that my live instrument track's faders are set very low. Really no big deal.

Perhaps there is some option to adjust that, but I don't really see how it's likely to be a problem. My tunes come out just fine.

I'm more concerned about why my guitar volume knob can't be set past 5 on the lead pickups without clipping the interface, which is set to 2/10. I have to pull back the guitar volume knob to adjust. I'm somewhat concerned I'm compromising tone or feel by having the guitar knob so low.

I probably should have addressed that part sooner. :) I'll repost that issue elsewhere if no one sees it or comments on it here.

"I'm somewhat concerned I'm compromising tone or feel by having the guitar knob so low. " Quite possibly Andy.

The first 2i2s had very low High Z input headroom. They improved this in later models but it still wasn't generous and if the "lead" pup (aka, bridge?) is a potent humbucker it probably will still clip.

If you are handy with the sloddering iron you can make an attenuator with the series combination of 820k and 390k. That will give 12dB of loss and still present a load of 1meg (1100meg actual) to the guitar.

N.B. the attenuator needs to be very close to the AI with a cable of no more than about 300mm.

I understand the very latest 2i2s, the gen 2 are very much better in this and most other respects.

Dave.

1meg (1100meg actual)
Where's my beer? ;)

Gibson guitars usually do label the pickup switch as rhythm and lead.

The thing with the 2i2 is a known issue, but certain settings on my guitar will clip any dedicated instrument input that I have. Those types of holes on an interface almost always have 9-10db gain (or perhaps less attenuation) over their line input counterparts. I always just plug into a buffered pedal (powered, but not necessarily on) and run that to a line in. Can't possibly clip that way.

I was a little confused about the OP. Are we actually just saying that the metering during record is different from playback because there are plugins or faders attenuating the signal? Reaper (and I think a lot of DAWs) will switch the track meter to show the actual input level - what it's going to record without any FX or faders or anything - when a track is record armed. This makes some sense because most of the time when we're recording all that really matters is that we don't clip the converters. Most of us don't have any useful metering at or before the converter, so the first time we actually see the signal level is in the DAW.

It fucks me all up trying to use it for live sound, though. Here it really is more important for me to see the level of what is actually going to the mix.

Last edited:
"Where's my beer?"

Ash, get thee to Northampton UK. Keep heading for the Lift Test Tower (visible from just about any part of town and know as Paddy's Well)
Opposite said tower is a pub. Phone first, see you there!

Dave.

Doesn't a lead pickup have to be 15.8-Ohm, or, better : ) Ya, Gibson can do that, but it don't hold up across many styles. You said you clip the input, so you should probably find another input.

"Doesn't a lead pickup have to be 15.8-Ohm, or, better : ) Ya, Gibson can do that, but it don't hold up across many styles. You said you clip the input, so you should probably find another input. "

Where do you GET these nuggets of misinformation G?! (or should we say 'fake' information now?) No standard guitar pickup will have an impedance that low by a STATE mile, leave alone COUNTRY! They are generally about a Henry in inductance and couple of k resistance giving a ball park Z of 3,500 Ohms.

The HZ inputs on AIs are almost universally of low headroom I am convinced because of the oar being poked in by the adpuff people.

A seriously 'Townsended' humbucker could put out around 4 volts rms, +14dBu and this means that a AI that could cope with that (and a bit more) would be perceived as being low gain and a wimpy Strat copy would struggle to reach -18dBFS. Noobs would moan and the adpuff men can't have that. Of course, they COULD fit a 20dB pad switch but tis a VERY competitive market!

Dave.

Back