Record voice and map pitch to an instrument?

x0x

Hello
Let's say I sing a melody and record it. What program can I use to convert the melody to MIDI so that I can have any instrument (or midi sound) play it??
That would be so great...think of a song and just sing the parts and them map them to instruments!

Anybody knows a program that can do that?

Thanks

Hello
Let's say I sing a melody and record it. What program can I use to convert the melody to MIDI so that I can have any instrument (or midi sound) play it??
That would be so great...think of a song and just sing the parts and them map them to instruments!

Anybody knows a program that can do that?

Thanks

Yes, there are pitch to MIDI programs and monophonic sources tend to work best. You would have to be able to sing against concert pitch though I suspect! Even then you will not get complete conversion but that is the beauty of MIDI, you can edit stuff ad.inf. !

I forked about with a couple of such programs some years ago but cannot remember the names. Google "pitch to MIDI" and you are sure to find some. "NCH" do a lot of music, free, share and donationware.

MP3 to MIDI converter free download - Convert wav to MIDI
Dave.

Logic was able to do that for me when I used it. That was a long time ago and it was Logic 5.1, the last before PC support disappeared and it became Mac only. I expect current versions will be able to do it.

Edit: I never used that function much, and don't have much need for it now. However, out of curiosity, I checked out whether Reaper (my DAW of choice) could do it. Well, of course it could. This might be of interest:

http://wiki.cockos.com/wiki/index.php/Use_Reatune_to_write_audio_to_midi

Logic was able to do that for me when I used it. That was a long time ago and it was Logic 5.1, the last before PC support disappeared and it became Mac only. I expect current versions will be able to do it.

Edit: I never used that function much, and don't have much need for it now. However, out of curiosity, I checked out whether Reaper (my DAW of choice) could do it. Well, of course it could. This might be of interest:

Use Reatune to write audio to midi - CockosWiki
That's what I was gonna say. ReaTune doesn't do velocity, though. It just spits out the notes at some preset velocity. That might be fine for some. I usually put the velocity JS (not sure of the name, maybe velocifier?) on after ReaTune, with the velocity add parameter modulated by the original audio signal, and with a little tweaking it'll track both pitch and dynamics.

Ableton has that as a built in feature. I've used it to convert guitar, bass to MIDI. It has three types, convert to melody, convert to bass and convert to drums. I've never tried on the voice. I did have to go and edit the final notes to get everything back in the right key on a few notes.

Back