Thread: Record voice and map pitch to an instrument?

x0x
    x0x is offline New Member

Question Record voice and map pitch to an instrument?

Sign in to disable this ad
    Hello
    Let's say I sing a melody and record it. What program can I use to convert the melody to MIDI so that I can have any instrument (or midi sound) play it??
    That would be so great...think of a song and just sing the parts and them map them to instruments!

Anybody knows a program that can do that?

Thanks

ecc83 is offline Why 2K?
    northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Quote Originally Posted by x0x View Post
    Hello
    Let's say I sing a melody and record it. What program can I use to convert the melody to MIDI so that I can have any instrument (or midi sound) play it??
    That would be so great...think of a song and just sing the parts and them map them to instruments!

Anybody knows a program that can do that?

Thanks
    Yes, there are pitch to MIDI programs and monophonic sources tend to work best. You would have to be able to sing against concert pitch though I suspect! Even then you will not get complete conversion but that is the beauty of MIDI, you can edit stuff ad.inf. !

I forked about with a couple of such programs some years ago but cannot remember the names. Google "pitch to MIDI" and you are sure to find some. "NCH" do a lot of music, free, share and donationware.

MP3 to MIDI converter free download - Convert wav to MIDI
    Dave.

gecko zzed is offline audio illusion
    Logic was able to do that for me when I used it. That was a long time ago and it was Logic 5.1, the last before PC support disappeared and it became Mac only. I expect current versions will be able to do it.

Edit: I never used that function much, and don't have much need for it now. However, out of curiosity, I checked out whether Reaper (my DAW of choice) could do it. Well, of course it could. This might be of interest:

http://wiki.cockos.com/wiki/index.ph..._audio_to_midi
    http://homerecording.com/bbs/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=45599&dateline=1256715193
    I have a theory about that

Steenamaroo is offline Honorary Old Fart.
    A sampler.
    Google.
    Not Me - > Pete Gardiner - Six String Love Stories - Buy it here or read a review here.

ashcat_lt is offline Force of Nature
    Quote Originally Posted by gecko zzed View Post
    Logic was able to do that for me when I used it. That was a long time ago and it was Logic 5.1, the last before PC support disappeared and it became Mac only. I expect current versions will be able to do it.

Edit: I never used that function much, and don't have much need for it now. However, out of curiosity, I checked out whether Reaper (my DAW of choice) could do it. Well, of course it could. This might be of interest:

Use Reatune to write audio to midi - CockosWiki
    That's what I was gonna say. ReaTune doesn't do velocity, though. It just spits out the notes at some preset velocity. That might be fine for some. I usually put the velocity JS (not sure of the name, maybe velocifier?) on after ReaTune, with the velocity add parameter modulated by the original audio signal, and with a little tweaking it'll track both pitch and dynamics.
    It only hurts if you let it... --- Ash's Tube --- Join the Partnership for a Drum Free Amerika

DM60 is offline Going no where fast
    Ableton has that as a built in feature. I've used it to convert guitar, bass to MIDI. It has three types, convert to melody, convert to bass and convert to drums. I've never tried on the voice. I did have to go and edit the final notes to get everything back in the right key on a few notes.
    David
    Ableton Live 9, Win7, Reaper, Presonus USB, M-Audio 192 SoundCloud: DM60

maestro_dmc is offline Uses Paramedic EQ
    Melodyne does this very well also. It will retain note velocity, and you can edit pitch before you copy the midi data. I have PreSonus Studio One which included it.

It also works pretty well for drum replacement.
    Insert witty self deprecating comment here.

Thread Information