Recommended software for newbie?

osu9400

First off, I am 100% green to software based recording solutions. I grew up watching my dad mix/run sound at our large church, and I am very technically knowledgeable of computer operating systems.

What would you recommend based on these requirements:
- Small # of channels. My wife is wanting a small in-house studio to record her voice and mix tracks.
- Prefer the Windows platform (Win 7)
- Low cost or free

Based on your recommendation, what extra hardware would I need?

Thanks.

Reaper.fm

By far the best one for free. As many or as little tracks as you want. Short learning curve. Plus it's free. And it's the best. That is free.

Free??

Yeh, free....

Actually, it's $40.00. It's free to try. I agree though, Reaper is the way to go. Give it a try and if you like it buy it. Trying it has no time expiration though, so, if you don't have a conscience it's free. ;)

Reaper is easy enough to use, doesnt hog your computers graphics like other costly apps and once you learn the "back office" stuff it is easily better than anything else on the market, the routing is second to none and it has loads of compatability features that other software doesnt have.

Oh, and did I mention its free?

Realy though it is nearly free, you will use it so much you may want to buy it, I did but it will continue to work if you dont. Also there is nothing to loose from trying it out i.e you wont be locked out of a project you where working on just coz your 30 days is up or you run out of tracks (a problem with LE software) It wont grey out any vital features either, you get the full package.

Did I mention its free :o)

As far as getting a vocal into your PC is concerned you need an audio interface with a mic preamp. If you observed your dad doing sound then you will know that mics dont plug into the tiny little sockets on your PC. There are loads of options here so shop around, the key words here are 'USB Audio Interface' and 'Condenser Microphone' these dont come too cheap, the rule of thumb would be to look at $100 each at a minimum, unfortunately you get what you pay for here. Make sure the interface has an XLR input and phantom power (silly name I know) For the microphone you want a large diaphragm condensor (condensor means its powerd with the aformenntioned phantom power)

On a budget

For interfaces, look at M-Audio, Presonus, Tascam

For Mics, look at AKG, Shure, Audio Technica, SE Electronics.

Dont ever buy anything from Bheringer if you can help it, it will break and wont sound very good from the outset.

If you have more than $2000 for the 2 go post on the other forum sections where the pros hang out.

Good luck

Dont ever buy anything from Bheringer if you can help it, it will break and wont sound very good from the outset.

Not to start a war, but as a long time Behringer user, I can tell you that the complaints about it are way overblown.

You've heard the expression, "If you gave him a million dollars, he'd complain that it was an awful shade of green"?

Always apropos in any discussion of Behringer...

OK, I will explain the mighty B bashing. Over the years (about 20 since I started recording) I have owned a whole raft of thier stuff and it did get me out of tight spots when I needed a specific peice of kit and couldnt afford anything but a B. The problem is that none of them stayed in reasonable condition for long, they dont make things to last (IMO) and I dont like paying less money for something that wont last. I look at a peice of kit as an investment so I prefer (and its my preference only), to buy quality so i know I wont have to buy another one.

I do have 3 V-VERB Pro's though and I treat them like royalty, would be devastated to loose even one. Easily the best verb for less than $1000. If you see working ones on ebay, grab em while you can.

OK, rant over, in summary, B stuff is ok but you wont be leaving it to your kids.

Last edited:
I had a JVC hi fi that wouldnt play CDs after a year
never buy JVC

I had a NAD amp and one of the buttons broke off
never buy NAD

I have a KRK with a buzz
never buy KRK

I have a Giant bicycle with a puncture
never buy Giant

I had a sharp TV thats picture went
never buy sharp

My SG never stayed in tune
never buy SG's

My PC busted a hitachi, and a western digital hard disk
never buy HP, hitachis, or western digital

My girlfriend cheated on me
never date girls

I had a JVC hi fi that wouldnt play CDs after a year
never buy JVC

I had a NAD amp and one of the buttons broke off
never buy NAD

I have a KRK with a buzz
never buy KRK

I have a Giant bicycle with a puncture
never buy Giant

I had a sharp TV thats picture went
never buy sharp

My SG never stayed in tune
never buy SG's

My PC busted a hitachi, and a western digital hard disk
never buy HP, hitachis, or western digital

My girlfriend cheated on me
never date girls

If you dated 20 girls and they all cheated on you I suggest you go to a gay bar, seriously though, I am not trying to get into a pixxxng competion over this, buy whatever you want guys.

Reaper.

But if your shopping around and end up getting an audio interface that suits your needs and criteria it will have a sampler DAW or a lite version of some fancy program you can try out and get familiar with.

Use that.

get pissed off at it,

THEN go download the free trial of Reaper.

Back