REAPER users......

Each time I go into a project knowing I'll make significant changes I save the project as & give it a name with the date. That way I have a complete project prior to the changes sitting in the folder waiting to be called up if I have problems, there's a blackout or, as seems to often happen in Reaper, I can't load a recent project without it crashing.
The song I'm currentl working on has 6 versions - each major step in the tracking or editing process was saved with a unique name before I proceeded to make new changes.

Each time I go into a project knowing I'll make significant changes I save the project as & give it a name with the date. That way I have a complete project prior to the changes sitting in the folder waiting to be called up if I have problems, there's a blackout or, as seems to often happen in Reaper, I can't load a recent project without it crashing.
The song I'm currentl working on has 6 versions - each major step in the tracking or editing process was saved with a unique name before I proceeded to make new changes.
Probably a good idea. I'm just not wired that way. I erase old stuff as soon as I move on, I don't save anything I do once there's a new version, I don't write down or document settings, I don't use templates, etc.....Just the way I am.

I don't think this helps when you do "Clean..." either, though. AFAIK, it will delete anything in the project directory that is not associated specifically with the project you're looking at right now. If you deleted a file in your new project, and then clean, and then go back to an older version, it will be missing that file.

I'm completely horrible about file management... :(

I don't think this helps when you do "Clean..." either, though. AFAIK, it will delete anything in the project directory that is not associated specifically with the project you're looking at right now. If you deleted a file in your new project, and then clean, and then go back to an older version, it will be missing that file.
That's right. at least with REAPER it is.

Same in every DAW I've ever used. You'd have to Saves and tick "Create subfolder..." and "Copy media...", but then you've got multiple redundant copies of everything... There's no good way around it except to manage your audio files manually. The key to that is meaningful track (and file) naming conventions. Let me know when you figure that out, cause I could use some help... I just keep everything with the intention of eventually flattening to stems once I know it's done and ready for release. These types of intentions very rarely lead to meaningful actions, so...I think I need a couple new external drives...

Back