reaper recording levels low on playback

dreib

Posted this question on the reaper forum but thought i might get some more ideas here.

So im getting started with Reaper and have a quick question.

I get my recording levels set where it appears they are solid, but during playback the meters are no where near what my line check was.
It plays back much quieter. Does that make sense?

What am i doing wrong?

Im using a tascam 1641 as my interface.

Is it not playing back as lound "sound-wise"? Or is it a "I'm looking at the levels pre- and post-recording and they aren't matching up?

Edit: Also, have you had this type, or any problems with your current set-up before?

Yea i arm the tracks set my levels on my board pre's and interface pre's and record. then at playback the levels arent what i had. It doesnt sound bad i just have to crank the faders up the monitors and the interface up to get a decent volume.

Im sure part of the problem is that im a moron but lets leave that out of the equation for now.

Haha...not too sure myself what the problem is here. Me and my buddy were lyaing down some tracks yesterday and while setting the pre-recording levels, the mic was working fine. Hit record....nothing. Haha...crazy stuff just happens. Have you tried the Reaper forums to see if it has happened to anyone else?

Posted this question on the reaper forum but thought i might get some more ideas here.

So im getting started with Reaper and have a quick question.

I get my recording levels set where it appears they are solid, but during playback the meters are no where near what my line check was.
It plays back much quieter. Does that make sense?

What am i doing wrong?

Im using a tascam 1641 as my interface.

Hey man, I've got a 1641 too. Do you have the monitor/phones output knobs up enough? This just sounds like a simple problem or oversight!

yea i have to crank up the phone/monitor knob to get a good volume.

the meters are right were i want em pre record and then at least 2/3 lower on playback....I'll check the reaper forums and see what i can find.

So what you're saying is that if you recorded something that was peaking at around -10db or so in Reaper, it shows much lower than that when you play it back? Or do the meters display roughly the same and it's just quiet when you listen to it?

So is the actual audio quieter or just the meter levels aren't the same? Remember if the track(s) is still armed for recording when you play it back, the levels won't show the same.

Are you listening to the audio signal as you set the levels? If you're using say a keyboard and recording the audio in, you might be setting the levels based on what you're hearing through a different routing in your interface.

Yea I set my levels about -10db and at play back the meters barely register and of course the audio is way low.

Ok i got it....I was leaving the tracks armed during playback and that was screwing up my levels.

Its times like these that i think maybe what people say about drummers might be true...

Thanks for all your help...I know i'll need more im sure.

Back