Really basic Questions . . . .

BruceAustralia

Hi there

I am just starting with some really basic home recording and was after some step by step answers to some start up questions.

I am using audacity, and am trying to record myself playing bass, rhythm and lead over a recorded track.

I have “recorded” the track into audacity Track 1 via the wave option, and tweak it so it doesn’t max out and clip.

I have my guitars plugged into the line in of my Audigy 2ZS via a ZOOM PS-02, http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=163&brandID=4&appIDhighlight=17 which I am using to get effects off.

When I try to play along and record the guitars (track2+) in sync with Audacity (I switch the input to line/mice/analogue) the backing track also records. In my preferences, I have ticked the box which says “Play other tracks while recording new one”. On the audacity forum, it says that if you check this box, then it will play, but not record . . .can’t find the link sorry.

So that’s my first beginner question . . for now, can you record a “backing” track, and record over it, but not have it in the mix (ie as a separate track). .to hopefully mix blend a bit later on.

Any suggestions appreciated!

Cheers

It sounds like your trying to "multitrack" so you can have say like 4 tracks (ie, track 1 guitar, track 2 bass, track 3 vox,etc...). If i'm correct in saying your trying to record so you have every instrument on a seperate track which you can mute/solo, etc... without affecting the rest of the mix?

I have used audacity before, and the method you state to use worked for me. Tick that box, go back press record, record that first track then press stop, press record again it usually automatically starts a new track if i remember correctly. Your question is a bit vague to me if thats what your after exactly.

it seems like your not creating new tracks to record on.
Record one part, add a new track set it to record and make the sure the first isnt then record

I had your same problem when using my SB external USB 24-bit "card". I believe it's advertised as full-duplex (plays and records at the same time) but I could never get it to record without the playback tracks bleeding into my input. Recording without any playback sounded awesome, though. :(
I couldn't find a solution (I even tried using my SB PCI as output with my 24-bit USB SB as input), so I replaced it with an X-Fi Platinum. I haven't had the problem since.
In short, you may need to try a different sound card. :)

Everyone just needs to stop using creative labs stuff to record audio. Soundblaster is garbage for recording. It's not made to do it at all. M-audio has better stuff cheaper AND it works.

Double click the speaker in the lower right, go to options, properties, recording, check line in and uncheck everything else. Make sure you choose a new track for each new track.

Obviously a soundblaster isn't meant for recording, and there are less expensive ones like M-Audio that are meant specifically for recording, but I've gotten good results from a SoundBlaster. Obviously I'm going to be upgrading soon, but when people say it's "garbage" it's pretty misleading. It's not THAT bad. It's better than most onboard sound cards at least.

solo.guitar said:
but when people say it's "garbage" it's pretty misleading. It's not THAT bad.
NO, what is misleading is when the soundblaster is advertised as a as a card that can record at 24/96k, when it's converters are 16/48k and the software upsamples or downsamples on the fly to make it seem like you are recording at a different rate. That, my friend, is misleading.

Farview said:
advertised as a as a card that can record at 24/96k, when it's converters are 16/48k and the software upsamples or downsamples on the fly to make it seem like you are recording at a different rate.

Ahhhh now I know . . .. it does sound very poor, compared to what I hear through my speakers!

So then folks . . .a sugesstion for a good (cheap!!) audio recording card please . .

Thanks for the replies!

Cheers

M-audio has a complete line of cards that sound fine and are made for recording. A few of them are even priced under the audigy.

$.02

way to go jay another convert.... can i get a witness???

slaps him on the head "i said HEAL..."

equall oportunity offender...

Back