A Question Regarding Sound Cards Internal and External

musicmashane

Hi all! Nice to be here! :)

I'm brand new to these forums, and while I asked over at Cockos/Reaper forums, I figured find some other cool online communities for future questions regarding home production!

SO MY QUESTION IS ABOUT SOUND CARDS / INTERFACES

Whether on-board or usb external, I'm entirely new to them. I mean, I understand that their primary role is to 'process' sound, but that's about all I understand on the matter.

Here's my issue and question:

I'm on a Toshiba Satellite C75D and the sound on it is terrible! There's a 'smart audio' interface that does add some of sound back, but it turns out the overall sound on this thing is just junk and I'm not the only one who has noticed it with this particular model!

So, I've been looking into some decent, but not too pricey external soundcards around the $200 range.

Two I have in mind for about my budget so far are:

Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 USB Audio Interface

and

M-Audio MTRACK QUAD Audio Interface

(opinions on these and any other suggestions are welcome)

But what I'm really needing to know is, does hooking up an external sound card completely bypass the on-board sound-card and software where I have problems with quality of sound? That's good if so and what I'd rather it do!

Or, does the sound still run through my on-board card and software, and then the external just 'enhances' it or adds additional 'processing power?'

If the 'city water system' is faulty I'd rather just avoid it's use entirely, and use an entirely different outside system, as opposed to having the water that's already been tainted by the main system, and then trying to 'clean it up' with the additional system!

I'm just wondering if having an external sound interface like these takes on the entire sound processing themselves from start to finish and doesn't even touch and utilize anything from what's built in to my computer, so long as I tell whatever programs to do so!

To reinforce this question, in theory let's say I had no on-board sound-card at all. Would having an external card/interface like above mean I'd be able to play / produce music or do anything else requiring audio?

I hope it makes sense to you sound junkies and gurus ;)

Yep. Your computer will run the Scarlett driver instead of the (Realtek?) onboard cards one.
You should hear a vast improvement in audio quality but equally important is that the Scarlett should process your audio more efficiently than the onboard soundcard - taking pressure off your CPU.

I have a Scarlett. It's pretty good but I'm looking at getting more I/o (hardware synths, drum machines etc).
I tend to shy away from M-Audio due to their lack of longterm (or 'any' in some cases) product support.
Steinberg, Tascam, Presonus, Roland, Native Instruments & even Akai have comparable audio interfaces that should be worth a look.

My view is that in this price bracket preamps and converters are pretty similar (in terms of quality) across brands - I'm looking at Rolands 'Capture' range due to excellent reports of driver stability.

Last edited:
Awesome Dave! Thanks so much for answering my question, and for the feedback and recommendations on certain interfaces as well! Very helpful :)

Oh and I'm not sure but that name is familiar so it might be Realtek.

But this laptop model in particular (and I know cause I thought it was just a tech issue) has a problem where it doesn't produce any of the lows! Even if you have good speakers, there's no 'base' like you're listening through a speaker on someone's phone!

Then it has 'smart sound' as an EQ interface (software not hardware I meant in original post) and it brings up the bass, but most the time, even with adjusting, it's really 'muddy' and 'thuddy'

As well, not only for producing which I need it, but I like to 'audio record wizard' streaming sets of music, and these seem to make the digital recordings that run through the card also sound like complete crap lol. I'm hoping an external interface will also help this issue as well :)

You'll need external monitors (speakers) or headphones when using a USB interface.
The interface should send out what you pass through it.

You *should* be able to bypass such goofiness somewhere in the interface's - uh - interface... (?)

That said - No doubt, you're talking about a $2 built-in audio interface. Let Windows play its sounds to it (keep it as the default interface) and run everything else through something that's more substantial.

I had a works Toshiba (ran Blista) and that was fine with a Native Instruments Ka6.

I note that the C75D has Win 8 (8.1?) and I would get the free upgrade to Win 10 before going any further with an interface.

The 2i4 is, IMHO an improvement on the 2i2 in that it has MIDI but I still think the Steinberg UR22 is better value and technically equally as good and gets you Cubase.

Dave.

My apologies for the late reply but I did read all those and I appreciate the time you all took to give me your answers and feedback!

I have what I need and am very happy with it and 'wow' what a difference!

Thanks again :)

My apologies for the late reply but I did read all those and I appreciate the time you all took to give me your answers and feedback!

I have what I need and am very happy with it and 'wow' what a difference!

Thanks again :)

So! Whadidyaget?!!!

Dave.

Sorry again man, I just now saw this again brotha lol! :D

But even though some seemed to not like it, I ended up with Focusrite 2i4.

It's been great so far though :)

(I'm also posting about recommendations for monitors and a good home studio vocal mic right now, but I'll post link here in a minute when it's up ;) )

I tried to reply when I saw this for the first time after logging on last night ECC but my connection crapped out! I ended up going with the Focusrite Scarlett 2i4.

I had actually ordered it once I started seeing answers to my question, but before I had read your suggestions! Still I'm very happy with it and thank you my friend :)

No worries Mac! My beef with the bottom feeder F'rites is mostly to do with value for money (and HOW can you cock up a HZ input?)

The 2i4 is, I am sure a fine interface and at least has MIDI!

Dave.

No worries Mac! My beef with the bottom feeder F'rites is mostly to do with value for money (and HOW can you cock up a HZ input?)

The 2i4 is, I am sure a fine interface and at least has MIDI!

Dave.

I will say man, I have the Steinberg UR824. Actually two of them.

I did run into a situation recently where a member that I met on this forum from Germany visited the US for the first time and stayed with me for three days. A guitar player friend of mine brought over an ancient keyboard. It only had MIDI out.

Guess what? The $1400 interfaces I own do not have MIDI input. I can only assume that most modern keyboards and midi devices run with USB connection, and that is why it is getting rare to see interfaces with that.

I must say that I was very sad to not be able to capture the moment because of this. Though, I would not necessarily say that an interface without a MIDI in is a poor choice. That would involve a particular users needs and what type of keyboard they already have.

Lack of MIDI in fucked me because of someones ancient gear. But that isn't an issue with modern keyboard controllers right?

Hi Jimms, the loss of DIN MIDI is a problem because, as you have found, there will be situations where data cannot be copied.

The whole history of MIDI technology and the almost unique industry collaboration that brought it about in in real danger of being lost.
It is not as though the inclusion of the technology is expensive? The Alesis i02 sells for well under $100 and yet the latest flagship Thunderfart AI from F'rite has left DINs and MIDI off. The casing IS a bit crowded (some say it should have been 2U) but there IS room for a "D" SKT breakout port.

I am far from being any kind of MIDI expert but I am sure you cannot do it all via USB?

dAVE.

Hi Jimms, the loss of DIN MIDI is a problem because, as you have found, there will be situations where data cannot be copied.

The whole history of MIDI technology and the almost unique industry collaboration that brought it about in in real danger of being lost.
It is not as though the inclusion of the technology is expensive? The Alesis i02 sells for well under $100 and yet the latest flagship Thunderfart AI from F'rite has left DINs and MIDI off. The casing IS a bit crowded (some say it should have been 2U) but there IS room for a "D" SKT breakout port.

I am far from being any kind of MIDI expert but I am sure you cannot do it all via USB?

dAVE.

I am just saying that it seems to be a dying breed...

Hey, help this guy here if you can! :)

https://homerecording.com/bbs/general-discussions/newbies/1-guitar-multiple-amps-preamps-389798/

I am just saying that it seems to be a dying breed...

Hey, help this guy here if you can! :)

https://homerecording.com/bbs/general-discussions/newbies/1-guitar-multiple-amps-preamps-389798/

Dying breed James? Far from it! Just read a review (SoS current ish) of the Line 6 Helix FX processor, another £1100 flagship product and that has MIDI DIN in, out and that very rare beast, THRU!

RME are another company that include MIDI I/O on all their interfaces AFAIK no matter how dinky.

It WILL die of course in the HR budget hobby market if people are complacent and "think" USB can do it all.

So! Chaps and chapesse's, when the next whizzbang/AI/iThang /crackerbarrel device gets reviewed and it does NOT have MIDI...Bloody well shout!

Two words: "Yellow Taxi"

Dave. (btw, left my jewel-like information with the splitter bod!)

Back