Question regarding audio interface / preamps

AAmdahl

I am looking to buy a mixer / audio interface so I can properly connect my microphone to my computer.
I am quite new to recording and audio.
my current setup is: Behringer C3 microphone running into an art tube MP preamp.

now, my question is, can I connect the art tube MP into an audio interface like the Behringer 302USB?

Thanks in advance.

Yes, but why would you want to? If you have the Behringer unit, you don't need the Art Tube as your microphone will plug directly into the Behry unit.

Before you do anything, read the sticky threads about mixers and interfaces and understand the basic concepts.

My advice, if you're going to buy something, as it seems you need to, owning a cheapish preamp that doesn't get you into a computer as you do, then get a good quality 2 channel preamp, of which there are many, and sell the Tube Pre if you need the cash to do so.

I am looking to buy a mixer / audio interface so I can properly connect my microphone to my computer.
I am quite new to recording and audio.
my current setup is: Behringer C3 microphone running into an art tube MP preamp.

now, my question is, can I connect the art tube MP into an audio interface like the Behringer 302USB?

Thanks in advance.

Google shows the "302USB to be a bottom feeder Berry mixer. The straight answer is "yes, you could drive that from the Art" but don't.

You might mean the Behringer UCA 202 (or 222) interface. These are really not at all bad for 20quid or so but again. Don't. The Behringer microphones have a fairly decent rep' and deserve, IMHO, something better. In any case why "creep up" in quality and M.O. when you can leap?!

I strongly favour the Steinberg UR22 interface or the Focusrite Scarlet 2i4. If you MUST go under £100, look for second hand. Things like the M-Audio fast track pro and Tascam 144s regularly go for a nifty or so at Cash Generator outlets and the like.

Thus equipped you will have a pair of excellent mic pre amps but you would still be able to feed the Art into a line input if you wished. The only use you would have for a mixer is if you had other sound sources. Synth, drum machine, CD player, tape, pod... that you wanted to hook up to the interface and save a lot of lead swopping.

Dave.

Thanks for the help!

Looking at the Tascam US-144 Mk2 or the stenberg UR22, both suits my price range. I will be able to connect them to the computer via USB, correct?
Should I go for this? and will it be best to run my microphone directly into this and just drop the art tube MP?

Last edited:
Thanks for the help!

Looking at the Tascam US-144 Mk2 or the stenberg UR22, both suits my price range.
Should I go for this? and will it be best to run my microphone directly into this and just drop the art tube MP?

As Arm' said, if you need the cash, sell the Art but I have no experience of them and they might have a certain "attitude" that is liked? (I never sell anything!)

Of the two the UR22 is a no brainer. Much later device with later converters. Far better mic amps and the latest version of Cubase light. I am also not sure how the Tascam is on W8 and you might have to go there one day! (I never shall, be completely ga-ga or dead by then!)

Nothing much to add, just reflecting how NICE it is to get a fairly straightforward question , put in a succinct way and a polite guy who FEKKIN' LISTENS!

Dave.

Placed an order for the Steinberg UR22, hopefully it will be worth the money!
Thank you for the assistance! :)

Last edited:
Back