Question about Zoom H4n and phantom power

brianach

Hi all,

I'm looking forward to a delivery of a nice new MXL 603S for my acoustic guitar recordings, and it should arrive in a week or so. I'll be using it with my Zoom H4n. The H4n has internal mics and you can use two other XLR inputs along with those mics. I intend to use the internal mics, the MXL 603S (which requires phantom power) and use the other input for either a DI from my guitar's Fishman Rare Earth Blend or my Shure SM57. One thing I'm wondering about though, and I can't seem to figure it out from the H4n manual, is about the issue of one input needing phantom power and the other not. The Zoom itself only gives an option to switch phantom power on or off (as well as what volt) but it doesn't give an option to designate which of the inputs you want it on, or for both.

So I'm just wondering if anybody knows how this will work with me wanting it for one input but not the other. Is it a case of turning the setting on in the H4n and the 603S will take it and the SM57/DI will safely not? Or will I have an issue of phantom power being sent through the second input as well, even though it's not required (and might damage the SM57/pickup? :S).

Anyway, if anyone can enlighten me I'd be grateful. I've searched for the answer but can't find it on forums or the manual. That usually means there's probably a very obvious answer so nobody else needed to ask! :)

Thanks in advance for any thoughts and suggestions.

Phantom power doesn't generally* hurt things that don't require it. Sort of why it's called "phantom"...

It's rare** to find units with per-channel phantom power switchability because it's not often needed. Your SM57 is a dynamic mic and will be fine, as will your DI.

*There are exceptions, however, ribbon mics for instance
** At the low end of the price scale

Phantom power doesn't generally* hurt things that don't require it. Sort of why it's called "phantom"...
It does manage to sound strangely devious and cartoonish all at the same time though

It's rare** to find units with per-channel phantom power switchability because it's not often needed. Your SM57 is a dynamic mic and will be fine, as will your DI.
Thank you very much for the information, it's good to hear that I won't have to worry about it. I appreciate the quick response :)

It does manage to sound strangely devious and cartoonish all at the same time though

Thank you very much for the information, it's good to hear that I won't have to worry about it. I appreciate the quick response :)

That's OK.. 14 years ago I stumbled across this board for the first time and asked a phantom power question myself... :D

Back