A question about volume.

Spin Doctor

I have 10 songs recorded. I want them all to be aproximately the same level (volume) on the CD i'm burning them too.

What's the easiest way to do this? Or is it too late...

Mastering. You can try it yourself (*generally* not a very hot idea, but there are those who disagree) or you can send it out to a mastering facility.

Processing at its most basic - Open a session in whatever you're using, load all the mixes (hopefully you mixed in 24-bit at the target rate) in and adjust the volumes so the relative levels are where you want them.

There's a lot more to it than that, but if it's simple relative volume adjustments you're looking for, there isn't any secret to that...

try this. bounce down all your tracks (no bit/sample rate change). open a new session, and throw each track in one after the other. put in some volume automation when you need something louder/softer.

voila.

or, to get your overall level comparable to a commercial CD, use a limiter to up the volume level a bit. just be careful not to squash all the dynamics out of it. you can then control the volume between tracks by using the "make-up gain" knob.

Ever heard of leveling? It's probably not the best way to even out your volumes but it is likely to be the easiest. I wouldn't use the leveling feature for a "real" master but for burning a cd for personal listening it works all right.

Back