question about synthesizing the sound for a guitar

bootlegin

Hi! I'm currently trying to synthesize a great sounding electric guitar using soundfonts and NI Guitar Rig in FL Studio and have a question that's been bugging me for a while. When I'm using effect plugins such as Guitar Rig to modify a stock guitar soundfont, does it really matter which guitar soundfont preset I start out with? I'm asking because effects such as Guitar Rig can change the sound dramatically to the point where it doesn't even sound like the preset anymore.

Also, one more thing Im confused about is the sound differences in certain guitar presets. For example "Gibson -> Solo&Mu5ths \s\r\c" sounds EXACTLY the same as "Gibson -> Solo&Mu5ths \c".

one more question I have is about guitar terminology. what do "fake 12 string", "standard \s\r\c", and "normGNLow 40" all mean?

Last edited:
Hi! I'm currently trying to synthesize a great sounding electric guitar using soundfonts and NI Guitar Rig in FL Studio and have a question that's been bugging me for a while. When I'm using effect plugins such as Guitar Rig to modify a stock guitar soundfont, does it really matter which guitar soundfont preset I start out with? I'm asking because effects such as Guitar Rig can change the sound dramatically to the point where it doesn't even sound like the preset anymore.

Yes, definitely.
Although you're using synthesised sounds and emulated amps, the theory is no different.
"If I'm using a very heavily distorted amp, does it matter what guitar I use?" - Yes.

It may be harder and harder to hear differences the more distorted and warped the GR patch becomes, but the source always matters.

Also, one more thing Im confused about is the sound differences in certain guitar presets. For example "Gibson -> Solo&Mu5ths \s\r\c" sounds EXACTLY the same as "Gibson -> Solo&Mu5ths \c".

one more question I have is about guitar terminology. what do "fake 12 string", "standard \s\r\c", and "normGNLow 40" all mean?

Where are these names coming from? Guitar Rig?
You're the only google hit for 'normGNLow' and 'Solo&Mu5ths'.

If they're coming from soundfont, it may be that various versions of the same patch respond differently to pedal input, or something like that.
With orchestral suites, for example, it's common to have the same patch 10 times but with different parameters in the name.
At face value they all sound exactly the same, but that parameter could mean that pedal/mod wheel controls sustain, or maybe vibrato, or maybe something else.
Just a guess.

Fake 12 string, at a guess, could be a process with some doubling and octaving. Guess is the key word, there.
Again, if this is in Soundfont then it would be a midi process rather than audio, so it could do it 'properly'.

If you don't know, a 12 string guitar is played like a 6 string. I.E. The strings are plucked in pairs.
Each pair is tuned either to be exactly the same pitch, or one octave apart so, put simply, it just sounds fuller.

Back