Question about recording with PC

Freedda

I just watched a YouTube video about an inexpensive home recording setup. He recommended the Focusrite Scarlett Solo 'audio interface' as part of this. My question: as an option to using an audio interface, could I instead just plug a USB mic (like the Blue Yeti) directly into my PC, with mixing software installed, such as Audacity (free)?

I was thinking of trying my hand at recording my own acoustic guitar and mandolin music, and I'm obviously very new to this

Regards, David.

Either a mic+audio interface [AI] or USB mic will allow you to record on your computer using "digital audio workstation" [DAW] software, such as Audacity. I'd say the majority of folks here use the former because it doesn't limit you to a single microphone and allows you to use different mics for different purposes, as well as plug in things like electric guitars and basses. Additionally, if you want to record playing and singing at the same time, it's far easier to get a balance between the vocal and instrument if you have two mics, so I think probably an almost equal majority would recommend getting an AI with 2 microphone inputs, just to "future proof" a bit.

There's a sticky titled "Should I get a USB mic" (which I've never read) that might [almost certainly] elaborates on this.

The new Uphoria line of interfaces has a very affordable AI with 2 mic inputs that is getting good reviews. (Full disclosure, I've not used one, but have a couple Behringer mixers, ancient RCA/USB converter, and an 8ch ADAT/mic preamp that have always worked.) That AI plus the venerable SM57 (along with a mic stand - important to experiment with mic position!) will set you back about $160+USD and probably do everything you need.

Your question is a bit like: "should I buy a system that is cheap but has limited uses, or should I buy a system that can be expanded and give me lots of options should I want to pursue recording further?"

I know which I would choose.

Your question is a bit like: "should I buy a system that is cheap but has limited uses, or should I buy a system that can be expanded and give me lots of options should I want to pursue recording further?"

I know which I would choose.

Quite^ And I wonder David what the guitar and mandolin cost you? A quick googe shows you would be lucky to get a 1/2 decent mandolin under $200? Easily double that for a good guitar and yet you want to cheap out when recording them?

You can buy an excellent AI for $150 (e.g. Steinberg UR22) and a good but not brilliant Small Diaphragm Capacitor (aka condenser) mic for $100. (but two is MUCH better for AC' guitar which immediately rules out the one-lunged, podder's piece the F'rite Solo) .

Audacity is fine as a starter DAW but the UR22 come with Cubase, much better or try Reaper.

Dave (yup! 'Nother one.)

Back