Question about audio interface ADAT expansion and

IstvanMedgyesi

So far I've only used my Focusrite Scarlett for very simple tasks, as I'm new to recording on my own. I want to upgrade in terms of quality and channel count, and am thinking of going with a RME Babyface or UC. I've never dealt with ADAT expansion, or any use for that matter, but if I go the Babyface route, I thik it would be a must.

I would like to multitrack a handful of synths, a sampler, and a few other things, so extra inputs would be necessary.

Can anyone give me advice on some good options to do this? I'm aware of some of the expansion input options but I'm really not sure of the best way to go about this. Thanks

The ADA8200 digital preamp you can use now, if the F-rite has the connection. Personally, I don't think premium amps are gonna' help "Electronica" all that much.

My rig;
roland jx-03 module
Bastl Kastle generator
Casio xw-p1 synth
Arturia MicroBrute synth
Akai thythum Wolf synth
Korg Volca FM synth
Novation UltraNova synth
Kawai K1 synth
Kawai K1r module
Yamaha PSS-790 synth
Yamaha PSS-370 synth
Yamaha qy-10 composer
Tascam PS5 GM module
Alesis sr16 drum module

Akai s2000 sampler

Korg SQ sequencer
Korg SQD=1 song sequencer
Kawai Q80 song sequencer
M-Audio Trigger fingger Pro controller
Arturia Keystep controller
Alesis Q25 controller
Korg USB nanokey2

Yamaha 8-port MIDI box

Behringer qx2442USB mixer d-out, 4-buss
Behringer 1002FX mixer
Tascam M-106 mixer d-out,4-buss

Echo Layla 3G 8x8 interface
(extra dig inputs from preamps)
Akai DR-8 recorder
Fostex DM8-vl recorder
Tascam PS5 recorder
Olympus 822 recorder
ART DPS for extra channels

rack ART DR-1 reverb
rack DR-x multi-effects
3) distortion pedals
2) tremolo pedals
Vox USB ToneLab amp model/effects pedal
Peavey USB VIP-1 modeling amp/effects/looper

Yesterday, I made a test of the Kastle into a guitar amp and into the DAW via USB - no preamp so to speak

Attachments

• Kastle1.mp3
    919.7 KB · Views: 6
Hi man,

If you need more inputs at this stage, I would recommend buying a soundcard with more inputs (8 should be enough) rather than having to deal with ADAT. ADAT is super easy though, it just means that you can send 8 channels in one cable, so that can be used to link up two soundcards with 8 inputs so you get 16 inputs. But since you are just starting out you don't really need to do that now.

Hope that helps :)

RME Babyface is $750 then a cheap adat like $300?

Personally, I went a different route:

for that kind of $$$ you can get a Tio1608-D, connect it to a gibit switch, any simple hardwire router (for dhcp server), run Dante Virtual Soundcard, and yamaha r remote (to control the mic preamps). The mic preamps are static ip controlled. The Dante Audio run as dhcp.

so you gain 16 remote controlled mic/line preamps with 8 outs. Even though my latency is set at 10ms on the DVS setting, I measure the actual latency at 3.2ms looping in and out of the DAW.

If you really serious about multi tracking, and your budget is around $1000 I would consider Dante because of its expandability. And you could use your scarlette as a headphone amp if you don't have one already (just connect it to AC power instead of the computer, and run it in stand alone).

I don't think anyone needs spend anything but $200, if they can double-up some old PCI cards. I'm now down two PCI slots and have SCSI for the sampler and a ECHO Layla 3g. So, I'm about 10 inputs when I use the computer. One probably may not need many stereo inputs

I'm not into laying down tracks, but try to program live to 2-track. I'm more interested in old op-amps

So far I've only used my Focusrite Scarlett for very simple tasks, as I'm new to recording on my own. I want to upgrade in terms of quality and channel count, and am thinking of going with a RME Babyface or UC. I've never dealt with ADAT expansion, or any use for that matter, but if I go the Babyface route, I thik it would be a must.

I would like to multitrack a handful of synths, a sampler, and a few other things, so extra inputs would be necessary.

Can anyone give me advice on some good options to do this? I'm aware of some of the expansion input options but I'm really not sure of the best way to go about this. Thanks

If you can afford RME go for it for many reasons but one in particular. Latency. RME interfaces have the lowest you will get from USB and have only just been beaten by a couple of TB devices (and even here, RME holds up via USB 3.0) . RME gear will also hold up for years against any OS tap dancing Microsoft might do.

Personally I could not be doing with the Baby Face? Too dinky and all that breakout clutter! There is no doubting it is a fine AI though!

I strongly suggest you visit soundonsound.com and join their forum. You will get a very well informed response and one that is perhaps 'cooler' and less partisan?

Dave.

hah Well Ken MacBeth makes greaT SOUNDING SYNTHS, but he seems to prefer an old Fostex FD8

Back