Putting up originals on here that are not copyrighted?

Stubby03

I see a lot of songs put up on here, getting opinions, which I am all for. I just put one on here myself. But, I had it copyrighted before doing so. I would like to get others input on my mixing of our originals, but I hate to put any of our songs on here that are not copyrighted. Not that we have the best songs in the world, lol, but you never know. I like to get your input as I go, so I can get better, but not at the cost of our songs. What to do?

It is possible that there is a big recording company scout scouring the MP3 clinic for songs to rip-off.

But it is not probable. In fact it is highly unlikely that anyone other than you and a few listeners to your tracks are going to be interested in your tracks.

It is a low risk activity, and I've posted stuff here without registering copyright first.

But you may care to do it for peace of mind.

Think about it, if someone actually stole one of your songs and made it popular it would be the best things that ever happened to your career , in fact you should encourage people to steal your stuff, or use it, with the condition you get a song writing credit.

What to do?

"What not to do?" is a better question. Worry is the answer. Don't worry about it. Your songs are automatically copyrighted as soon as they are in some tangible form; written, recorded, etc. By "copyrighting" them you are only registering that ownership. It's good to get that done, but don't let it stop you from posting your mixes to get help with them. The music world is HUGE and HR is a drop in the bucket. No one is coming here to harvest songs illegally.

Thanks. I guess I'm pretty close to some of these songs, we had some written for over 25 years. I don't think they are the next TOP 40 song, just protective of them.

The minute you post them up, they're gone. If you don't mind, that's fine. It's a very odd feeling when you hear your music being played unexpectedly - happened to me once and it's a weird

Thanks. I guess I'm pretty close to some of these songs, we had some written for over 25 years. I don't think they are the next TOP 40 song, just protective of them.

And be sure to register your songs with a PRO. The unexpected royalty check is pretty cool, too. Even if it's not much.

You own the copyright to your work wether you register it or not.

Registering your work just makes it possible to take someone to court, but you can register your work years after creating it. Then you can sue, it will be on you to prove you are the originator of said work though.

He is talking about photography but it's the same concept:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqDCIqOCDdM

Last edited:
"What not to do?" is a better question. Worry is the answer. Don't worry about it. Your songs are automatically copyrighted as soon as they are in some tangible form; written, recorded, etc. By "copyrighting" them you are only registering that ownership. It's good to get that done, but don't let it stop you from posting your mixes to get help with them. The music world is HUGE and HR is a drop in the bucket. No one is coming here to harvest songs illegally.

^^^^^^^This! You own the copyright as soon as you make it real. Registering it just makes it easier to prove the date.

I make sample based hip hop... Not released 'owt (yet) so not an issue (yet) but I'd be more worried about putting something up and getting sued for not clearing the sample!

I've got no clue as to how one clears samples for release, right now it's just a term I've heard in the ether...

I make sample based hip hop... Not released 'owt (yet) so not an issue (yet) but I'd be more worried about putting something up and getting sued for not clearing the sample!

I've got no clue as to how one clears samples for release, right now it's just a term I've heard in the ether...

Start with "Harry Fox Agency".

Since the entire premise of your fake "music" is based on someone else's work, then yeah, you have something to worry about.

The only song I have put out "Be Mine Tonight", I have already copyrighted it. Just kind of sucks because I would like to get input on my mixing of songs. Guess I will have to wait till our cd is done, copyright it, then see what you all think of the mix. Then make adjustments. I love getting input, good or bad, on my mixing. I have learned a lot in the last 2 weeks, between comments, reading, and remixing. Thanks to all

Back