Properly Connecting Mixer and Pre Amp/Compressor

OutstandingO

Hey guys!

I'm producing a 3 host podcast out of my home. I have a Behringer Xenyx 1202FX mixer that I use with an simple audio interface (Behringer UMC 202HD). I'm trying to improve the sound quality, so I purchased a small pre amp/compressor, an ART Tube MP/C, on the suggestion of a friend to help with that.

Problem is... I don't know how to connect them all to fit what I'm doing. I've gone to Youtube and searched that out and all the videos came up with nonsense or things that were not even close to applicable.

Any help or direction that I can get at this point would be greatly appreciated.

Howdy! And welcome! :)

I am not a podcast oriented guy. But I bet you just purchased the ART unit for no reason. Return it if you can would be my suggestion.

What software are you using for this podcast? There is really no reason for compression on the way in to your interface unless it is something worthy. The preamps in that ART are crap and I am sure the compressor is basically useless.

I suppose you could try using it as an effect, but I do not believe with that Behringer mixer you are going to be able to do much more than add more noise to the existing noise.

I am not trying to bring you down but you should really do more research here on the forums. There is a Sub Forum here at HR for podcasts LINK

What mics are you using? Is your room treated?

Again, podcasting is not my thing, but it is always better to start with a good sounding room, a good mic(s), and an interface with multiple inputs as needed. Running a mixer (especially a cheap one) is not going to do you any favors.

I use that exact mixer for cranking up a submix for deaf drummers in a separate room. It is so noisy I can hear the headphones hiss from the control room when the door is open. Drummers don't seem to care. It just a cheap way for them to craft their own headphone mix. I would never consider recording anything through it.

That being said, there is your budget vs quality that you are looking for that is the most important thing for you to decide.

I absolutely would never ever combine two low gain/high noise (cheap) units together to try to achieve better sound. It just does not work well that way.

Last edited:
I'm currently running Logic Pro as my software. I know that there is compression and EQ plugins that can be used from there, and that's what I've been using for the most part, but I've read that nothing beats good sound going in. That there is really only so much that can be done in post. I have a few $60 Condenser mics that we use. I'm not 100% sure what you mean by treated, but I'm going to say no.

I am not a podcast oriented guy. But I bet you just purchased the ART unit for no reason. Return it if you can would be my suggestion.

What software are you using for this podcast? There is really no reason for compression on the way in to your interface unless it is something worthy. The preamps in that ART are crap and I am sure the compressor is basically useless.

I suppose you could try using it as an effect, but I do not believe with that Behringer mixer you are going to be able to do much more than add more noise to the existing noise.

I am not trying to bring you down but you should really do more research.

What mics are you using? Is your room treated?

Again, podcasting is not my thing, but it is always better to start with a good sounding room, a good mic(s), and an interface with multiple inputs as needed. Running a mixer (especially a cheap one) is not going to do you any favors.

I use that exact mixer for cranking up a submix for deaf drummers in a separate room. It is so noisy I can hear the headphones hiss from the control room when the door is open. Drummers don't seem to care. It just a cheap way for them to craft their own headphone mix. I would never consider recording anything through it.

That being said, there is your budget vs quality that you are looking for that is the most important thing for you to decide.

I absolutely would never ever combine two low gain/high noise (cheap) units together to try to achieve better sound. It just does not work well that way.

I'm currently running Logic Pro as my software. I know that there is compression and EQ plugins that can be used from there, and that's what I've been using for the most part, but I've read that nothing beats good sound going in. That there is really only so much that can be done in post. I have a few $60 Condenser mics that we use. I'm not 100% sure what you mean by treated, but I'm going to say no.

I just edited my post as you replied. I gave link to the 'podcast' sub forum. You may find more info there. :)

You are correct, NOTHING beats good sound going in. And that is my point. First step is dealing with what the room you are in does to the sound. Way to much to go into here, but 'treated' would mean acoustically treating the room. It seems podcasters usually get away with needing less of that when using dynamic mics. Condensers tend to pick up much more of the room. Like keyboard strokes and chair squeaks... SM58 on the cheap would be better choice IMO. Better would be what the guys in pro radio use. But that is much more expensive.

Take a gander at the sub forum and I bet you get more than I am able.

Best to you Outstand! Cheers!

Compressors would probably be a great idea on a podcast with multiple people, but I would want a separate compressor channel for each mic. Since your mixer doesn't have inserts on each mic input it probably can't accommodate separate compressors. Maybe the simplest solution would be to upgrade to one of the Yamaha mixers with built-in compression on the first few channels.

Personally, I'd rather have a fully adjustable compressor with some gating or downward expansion, but that may be more complexity than you want to deal with. And it needs a mixer with inserts.

Compressors would probably be a great idea on a podcast with multiple people, but I would want a separate compressor channel for each mic. Since your mixer doesn't have inserts on each mic input it probably can't accommodate separate compressors. Maybe the simplest solution would be to upgrade to one of the Yamaha mixers with built-in compression on the first few channels.

Personally, I'd rather have a fully adjustable compressor with some gating or downward expansion, but that may be more complexity than you want to deal with. And it needs a mixer with inserts.

Agreed. But he has ability to place separate compressors within his software. Seems he may be better suited with an interface that has multiple inputs rather than the mixer with the ability to add multiple compressors. Budget wise anyway...

Though this is not my thing and I am just throwing out opinion. I could be wrong. :)

And we still need to meet up for sushi sometime! I haven't worked in Boulder for quite a while...

Agreed. But he has ability to place separate compressors within his software. Seems he may be better suited with an interface that has multiple inputs rather than the mixer with the ability to add multiple compressors. Budget wise anyway...

Though this is not my thing and I am just throwing out opinion. I could be wrong. :)

And we still need to meet up for sushi sometime! I haven't worked in Boulder for quite a while...

Recording all mics to separate tracks and processing them later would be ideal. Then you could compress precisely and edit out the noisy bits. But if it's more than two mics he's screwed by that interface.

I'll drive down to Denver. I've been spending more time down there anyway. PM me some times this month that are good for you.

Recording all mics to separate tracks and processing them later would be ideal. Then you could compress precisely and edit out the noisy bits. But if it's more than two mics he's screwed by that interface.

I'll drive down to Denver. I've been spending more time down there anyway. PM me some times this month that are good for you.

I suppose we should also ask if this podcast is live or pre-recorded? Either way a 4 channel interface would likely seem best as he did state '3 host podcast'. I only assume that means 3 guys and three mics...

And yeah Pat, East Moon is actually quite good and in between here and there. Off HWY 36 and 104th. I love them because they also deliver!! Sushi and a movie in bed is kinda cool... :) Well, likely not with you as much as my wife and daughter. lol!

Sorry to half jack your thread OutstandingO.

Thanks for all the responses guys. If I wanted to record each mic on a separate track in Logic, is that possible? Maybe that might help? I'm just trying to see what I can do in the interim.

Thanks for all the responses guys. If I wanted to record each mic on a separate track in Logic, is that possible? Maybe that might help? I'm just trying to see what I can do in the interim.

You have three hosts and an interface with two inputs. You can't record all three separately at the same time. It sounds like this isn't a live show, so most likely an interface with more inputs would solve your problem and let you process each mic independently. If it is live then perhaps the Yamaha with the compressors would be a good way to go, or get the upgraded interface and try mixing ITB with effects.

Well I tried to send back the compressor but apparently I can not. However, have a colleague that is going to give me a
BEHRINGER XENYX X2222USB for $65 because he's gotten a much larger board. Is this something that I could use the compressor with or should I just forget it?

Got me. I would have to see the actual $65 mixer. You can get data on the current model on the web

Back