Problems with Recording into PC...

Sentrallya

First of all... great forums... very helpful.

Here's my problem: We constructed our own studio and have a ton of equipment ready to go... but when I record the drums into the computer, the recording quality isn't the greatest and the sound level is very low and it's frustrating me. I have experience in production, but I never set up a studio myself, so I don't fully know all the technical stuff... here's what we're using:

-Sound Blaster Live Plantinum sound card
-Acid Pro 3.0
-Mackie CFX 12 Mixer
-Shure AM 10 mics (i know not the best... but the sound should still be better than it is)

Now I've checked all the inputs/outputs on the computer, mixer and mics themselves and everything is cool. I even checked all the volume control levels on the computer to make sure they were right and they are.

The sound is just very low even though the level is peaking like crazy on Acid. Any suggestions or help is appreciated. Thanks.

Looking at what you've already done, maybe you could try these:

1. Try running a CD player into your mixer and checking the level on the PC, if it's sweet then it's your mic's.

2. Try running the CD player directly into your sound card and checking your PC level, if that's sweet then it's your mixer.

3. I have little experience with ACID but if there's an OUTPUT level somewhere within ACID itself (rather than the standard Windows mixer) try tweaking that if you haven't already done so.

If these don't work.....god knows! As far as your sound quality problems are concerned, perhaps borrow some mic's whenever you're recording drums.

It would take a lot of work for any experienced engineer to get great results on drums with those mics and the soundblaster card.

the weak link....

Sent -

from my personal experience, and the number of posts I see on other forums, the Soundblaster card is probably the weakest link in your chain.

Their analog-to-digital converters aren't very good, they don't update thier drivers very frequently, and they just aren't stable enough to do serious recording.

Have I done okay recordings on a SB card? Sure. Would I go back to one ever again? Not for recording. Gaming, surfing, listening to mp3's.... sure. Recording, no.

I would say check out gear from Echo Audio, I have a Gina card/breakout box that sounds great, I'm waiting on a Layla unit that I bought on eBay (should arrive today! yipee!) - the gear sounds good, lots of bang for the buck, you can find it on eBay readily, and their tech support is great.

good luck.

- housepig

Thanks for the help guys... I'm going to take a look at the stiuation more and see what's up.

As for the soundcard issue... i kinda figured that would be a problem with recording. I've been recommended Santa Cruz cards... what do you guys think about those and would they do the trick?

Give us a little more info......

How many simultaneous inputs do you need?

How much money would you be willing to spend on another soundcard?

Sentrallya said:
....The sound is just very low even though the level is peaking like crazy on Acid. ....

Are you sure that you checked all of your Volume Control Properties?

Also, what are you using to monitor your music?

I have the recording level stuff all taken care of... all it is now is the quality.

As far as soundcards go... our budget is rather good, so anything from 4 simultanious inputs is good... which do you guys recommend?

Back