problem when recording

barry boy

hi,
can you help.
when recording guitar and vocals simultanously i can hear guitar through the left headphone and vocals through the right headphone. my set up is da20 dat recorder, 2 mics rode ntk and nt1000, audio buddy preamp. does anyone know why this is happening? i'm new to home recording.

thanks,

barry boy

Hmmmm....

Are you hearing the same thing on playback?

It sounds like you have something set up for stereo recording. Switch the pre amp and the dat to mono recording and you should hear them blended.

problems when recording

yes it is the same on play back. i can't see a switch for mono or stereo.
some aditional info. the dat recorder has 2 input/output connections left and right. there is 1 cable connected to the left and right input but no cable or is it called a (cord) going in the L and R output. i do have a another cable (cord) with jacks. but i think i need a cable(cord) with the pin like plugs 2 on each end. is this right?
thanks,
barry boy

Last edited:
You need a mixer. A DAT machine is just a stereo machine, like a cassette deck. It only has left and right. If you plug your guitar into the right channel and you vocal into the left, that is how it's going to come out.

DAT machines were designed to be mixdown decks, not multi tracks. You need to mix the signal somewhere else.

What are you wanting to do, just record guitar and vocals? Or will you want to record more? Are you connecting the guitar wth a jack lead, and microphone XLR(mic) lead? What microphone are you using? You could get one of these here £26, if all you're wanting is guitar and vocals. If you want more, there are a bunch of mixers here. Feel free to ask about them, and i will explain.

Here is a snippet of a rehearsal with all but the front mic and one over head shut off.

Here is the same thing with 2 overheads

The guitar and vocal monitor are in the same room, so there is a lot of bleed. I had other mics on the kit, so the two that you are listening to would have been placed differently if they were the only ones.

Back