A problem with my audio interface and phantom power

xiaocutemi

Hey everyone. I just got a Roland quad capture audio interface a couple days ago. But i found out there was a problem. I plugged in a condenser mic. EVERY TIME I RESTART MY COMPUTER, I WONT BE ABLE TO MONITOR MY VOICE, UNLESS I TURNED THE 48V OFF AND THEN SWITCHED IT ON AGAIN. (in another word, the phantom power is not "ON" forever, after couple hours or restart my computer,
I need to turn it off and then turn it on to make it work), Is this an error?

That's not right - it's just the usual switch, so should be there all the time. When the power doesn't come on, does the usual playback work? My thinking is that maybe the computer USB cannot supply enough current, so when you first plug it in, the USB DC supply limits, and it doesn't power the mic, having it powered up first, then turning it on, being two stages, doesn't trip the thing out. Can't think of anything else.

Sounds like your computer allows the USB ports to go to sleep.

Control Panel>Device Mgr>USB Hub> Power Mgmnt>Uncheck "Allow computer to turn off...."

Do this for all your USB hubs.

USBPwr.JPG

Thanks Rob.My old interface didn't have this kinda problem. I should be able to monitor myself when i turn on my computer. I am going to ask someone who owned this interface.

Yes, I too am sure Chilli is right.
There is just an outside possibility that Roland are being uber cautious and not allowing phantom power to come on by default but that seems very unlikely.

Dave.

Hey Dave!thanks for replying. I think it's the driver's problem. It works perfectly on my mom's laptop(WIN7 64). but doesnt on mine(win8.1 64)

thanks ~ !I found out what s going on. The official driver (WIN8.1 64) for my audio interface is just not as perfect as Windows 7 users.

thanks ~ !I found out what s going on. The official driver (WIN8.1 64) for my audio interface is just not as perfect as Windows 7 users.

Hmm? Today this laptop and the "big" W7 PC did a 25,118 file (I kid you not!) Registry update. I wonder if something similar is in the pipeline for Hated Eight?

Dave.

I am curious, is there not a 'run in compatibility' mode between W8 and W7? I remember something like that back in the Vista days.

I am not going anywhere near W8 anytime soon myself. Not gonna fix something that isn't broken...

I am curious, is there not a 'run in compatibility' mode between W8 and W7? I remember something like that back in the Vista days.

I am not going anywhere near W8 anytime soon myself. Not gonna fix something that isn't broken...

Abso-blooming-lutely! In any case we are promised a free upgrade to Win 10 and early reports (Sound On Sound | Recording Techniques | Audio Technology | Music Production | Computer Music | Video Media) suggest that Ten is at least as good as 7 and all the ***t in 8 is either gone or can be easily disabled.

But then, just as you don't go to the Moon with the very latest software, it pays to let new stuff shake down for at least a year before committing. I am still getting the odd update for XPpro!

Not sure how the Tenfest will work for me? I have 4 W7 computers so will I get a download for each one?

Dave.

Back