PROBLEM WITH MONITORS!!!!No audio

David Lorenzo

Hello,today I connected my M-audio BX5 D3 monitors to my scarlett 2i2 interface from XLR to Jack 1/4 or 6.33 mm,but the monitors doesnt reproduce any audio,only when I turn up the volumen there is a rare noise,but nothing sounds,neither from spotify,or youtube or fl studio.I want to know if its monitors problem,interface problem or connection of cables problem,and if you could help me find a new cable to connect,sorry for my bad english.

You are not using balanced (TRS) 1/4" cables between the Focusrite and M-Audio speakers? Are the 1/4" end of your cables TRS, i.e., balanced? I'd guess the XLR to 1/4" cables may be the problem, if they are not working. It would certainly be the first thing I'd test, i.e., try a set of TRS "patch" cables.

I assume you do hear everything through headphones plugged into the Focusrite correctly?

When i put the jack on the headphone entry on the focusrite it sound,but i dont know much about the cables,i cant send you the link so if you could search them on amazon...,They are: Stagg SAC3PXM DL - Cable XLR macho a Jack 6,3 mm.,thats on my language (spanish) but i dont know how they are called in english

...They are: Stagg SAC3PXM DL - Cable XLR macho a Jack 6,3 mm....
That is not the correct kind of cable. If the unbalanced 1/4" end or XLR is not wired correctly it could be the problem. You can see the link to a balanced cable (GuitarCenter) in the post I made. I'm not saying that the cable is certainly your problem, but if both speakers are not working, and you have the same kind of cables, it would be at the top of my "usual suspects."

Then I should buy TRS-TRS and look carefully if they are stereo??
TRS means Tip-Ring-Sleeve so they look like a stereo plug, i.e., the same that is on your headphones. They can carry a stereo signal, but generally their use is for carrying a balanced one, i.e., the same kind that is carried in an XLR (microphone) cable. Some interfaces have XLR outputs, but a balanced 1/4" output is most common because of the smaller size and probably cost.

You could use a 1/4" TRS to XLR cable as well. The "patch" type of cable is more useful IME.

Then what do I have to buy? Im a bit confused because im new to this and dont know,if you could find it on amazon? I live in Spain and i dont know if Guitarcenters do shipping here and it would be so expensive

Last edited:
I believe the 6.3mm TS to XLR 'unbalanced' cable should work, but not with as much volume as one that has 'balanced' connections on each end. This is assuming the XLR end has pin 3 tied to pin 1 which would be the common way of creating an unbalanced cable like this. The 2i2 outputs can accept either 'balanced' or 'unbalanced' connections. The balanced cables Keith suggested would be a better way to connect the equipment with less chance of noise or hum getting into the speakers.

A couple things to try......

- Plug the XLR end of your cable into the BX5 and turn up its volume. Take the 6.3mm plug end and while holding the cable (not the metal connector itself) in one hand, touch the tip of the 6.3mm plug with your finger tip. This should produce a hum in the BX5. It may not be too loud, but will sort of test that the BX5's do work.

- Realizing you may be new to this, have you turned up the 'Monitor' control knob on the 2i2 as shown below? This control is for the outputs on the rear of the 2i2 and I don't believe affects the sound from the headphone jack which appeared to work. If you haven't tried yet, put the 'Direct Monitor' switch to the ON position.

Attachments

• 2i2monitor.jpg
    2i2monitor.jpg
    244.2 KB · Views: 12
...Realizing you may be new to this, have you turned up the 'Monitor' control knob on the 2i2 as shown below? This control is for the outputs on the rear of the 2i2 and I don't believe affects the sound from the headphone jack which appeared to work. ...
I'm gonna feel pretty dumb if this is the problem. I "assumed" when he turned them up this is the knob he was turning!??

Hi Dahttps://www.thomann.de/gb/the_sssnake_spp2015.htmvid!

The above is the type of cable you need but you might have to search the site further if you need longer than 1.5mtrs. If buying cables is difficult where you are it might be an idea to learn to solder your own?

Dave.

Back