Problem with cool edit pro Playback

HotboyHamilton

I just got myself a little home studio I'm using a scarlett solo interface bluebird mic I'm currently on windows my computer isn't the problem but when I'm recording in cool edit pro and I'm playing back the recording the vocals are not on point I get like a little lag and I know I could just slide the rec to the left a little and put it on proper timing but when I do that some parts would also have to be chopped ive read around and to my understanding this has something to do with cache on the PLAY AND REC BUFFER whats the best setting to optimize these setting so I don't have to shift every single vocal I record does any1 have a problem to this solution. I'm on windows 10 I was thinking of reformatting to windows 7 to optimize my pc a little better but I highly doubt that's the problem cause when I use another program called goldwave the vocals are fine but my preference would be to use cool edit pro I have version 2 and 2.1..thank you

It's called latency. Once you've recorded a track and hear it on playback, all you can do is slide the track to get things aligned.

Fixing the problem, i.e., during recording, can be a buffer size issue, but that's not certain, as it depends on the efficiency of a lot of software & firmware pieces in that bi-directional chain.

Another factor can be plugins or virtual instruments that are enabled on tracks you've already recorded. If you have any FX/plugins enabled on tracks already recorded, you might try "freezing" existing tracks or even temporarily disabling them while recording new tracks, in case they are contributing to latency. (Not familar with CEP, but in Logic, a "Low Latency Mode" option in the Recordin menu will selectively disable some plugins that are known to add latency.)

Tactics for optimizing any PC, regardless of OS version, are something to check on, like disabling the internet, A/V software (except Windows built-in), etc. (I thought there was a sticky on this topic but couldn't put my mouse pointer on it quickly...)

Your ancient DAW is not compensating correctly for record latency. Record latency is different from input monitoring latency, it's the output to input round trip time of your system. (Input monitoring latency is the input to output round trip time.) DAWs normally sense that round trip time during recording and adjust the placement of the audio on the timeline to keep everything synced.

My first step would be to ditch that stone age recording software and get something modern. Reaper would be a good option.

I used to use Cool Edit Pro 15 years ago. I would definitely recommend upgrading like I did to Adobe Audition 3.0, very similar interface and controls with a lot more functionality. Still works perfectly today with plugins such as Guitar Rig 4 and Izotope Nectre 2 running live in the background. Anyway I think to change the latency, in Multi track view go to Options / Device properties / and change Multitrack Latency to 0.
OR try this;
Options / Settings / Multitrack / Correct for Drift in Recordings and Correct for Start Sync in Recordings both enabled

From memory, CEP2 doesn't support ASIO drivers...and ASIO is required for the latency compensation.

Back