Problem with Audio Quality using Firewire Interface

bugmenot

Banned
Hi everyone,

I am using a Behringer FCA202 interface to record various instruments into my PC via firewire. The PC is running Windows XP 32-bit. I am using a fully functional Behringer mixer as a preamp into the interface. The recording software I'm using is Audacity.

No matter what I record, I get an annoying "clicking" or "skipping" noise that distorts the signal. I tried adjusting both the latency and the sample rates on the interface to no avail. Here is the control panel I've been using to modify those settings:

Unnamed.jpg

I have tried recording with two different PCs using two different firewire cables, but the problem persists.

Is this a problem with the software I'm using or with the interface?

I can supplement this post tomorrow with a sample if it would help, but I have a feeling this is a common issue.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Without making any correlation to having "Behringer" and "Problems with audio" in the same sentence, it's probably a clocking issue.

The first thing I'd look at (as I notice that for some odd reason, there doesn't seem to be a clock source control in the app window) is to go into wherever you need to go (control panel, audio hardware, properties, etc.) and make sure you're NOT mapping through Windows. I've used hardware where I needed to go into the BIOS and disable the built-in hardware to avoid clocking conflicts in extreme cases...

My first instinct was a clocking issue as well and agree with Massive Master's suggestion.

If that doesn't work, the other thing to try is to drag that latency control to the highest setting--that might cause other problems with delay when multitracking but, as an experiment, if it fixes the popping issue, gives some idea of where the trouble is.

If it IS latency, the next thing I'd do is to do a couple of things to your computer. First, go through on Task Manager and shut down any and all un-needed programmes and processes, especially all networking, wifi and anti virus. Second, find one of the many "optimise your computer for audio" sites by Googling and adjust all the setting suggested to tune up your PC for recording.

Hi Massive Master,

Can you please explain what it means to "map through Windows" and what I can do to change this?

You didn't specify what software you were using prior to Ableton but it sound like there was some kind of incompatibility between that software and the Behringer drivers. It can happen.

Back