probably one of many questions soon to be asked

chuckie85

i'm trying to get myself as fully educated on recording as i can so this may not be the last time i ask a simple question that i should have found out awhile ago. so i've heard the word "bus" used many times when working with software and with my standalone recorder and after reading and re-reading things on how to switch busses and all this, i have yet to even understand what a bus is....so that's my question, what on earth is a bus, what does it do, and how does it benefit me?

My own limited knowledge would describe it as such: a buss, as found on a mixer, is an output channel with it's own volume control. Some mixers only have one buss, the main output volume slider. The signals of all the individual channels on this type of mixer travel through this buss to the main output connections.

Some mixers have more busses, typically 4 to 8. This allows you to group individual channels by means of pan/buss switching and assign them to an idividual buss.

For instance, you may want to assign guitars and bass to one buss, vocals to another, drums to another, and so on. Busses allow you to sub-group your tracks for further routing and monitoring possibilities.

A bus is anywhere multiple signals come together. Like mike said above, it could be a group channel, the main outs, or an aux.

Back