Probably a dumb question

talk show host

Hoo boy I bet I get brained for this one..even in newbies! Roland/Boss are having a *big* sale near me soon, and I'm planning on picking up a BR-8 for home recording. Other than my instruments and fx pedals (which I already own), this was the list of things I figured I needed to buy:

* Boss BR-8 + zip disks
* Boss Drum Machine
* Shure SM-58 mic, pop filter + stand
* AKG headphones
* Cables and leads

Am I missing anything obvious? Do the headphones act as monitors or do I need to buy something else?

Any help appreciated - I'll try and pick this up quick to negate my current golden newbie status ;)

I think you should get some monitors ... even inexpensive ones just so you can get out of the headphones once in a while. You're mixes will be better and it would probably be more confortable for you. But, if monitors and an amp are out of the budget ... then you can get by alright with the headphones for a while. Some people may disagree with that, but I've made some pretty good mixes with just headphones. Put the monitors on the list, though ... (oh ... there's always a list). :)

What kind of AKGs are they?
Does the BR8 have compressor/gate/effects on board?

Thanks. The AKG's were pretty cheap ones I think, the guy priced me the K66 and the next model up..either of those are in my price range. Would it be worth buying some more expensive headphones in the short term, to compensate for the lack of monitors? Also, if I've made a less-than-perfect mix with the headphones as monitors, is it easy to tweak the sounds in a professional studio once I'm done?

And yup, the BR-8 has on-board gating and compression fx. The fx are pretty much modeled off their GT-3 from what I can tell.

you didn't mention a mixdown format such as dat,cassette,cdr,etc. to mix down to.if you already have a decent cassete deck,that will get you started.and a hi-fi vcr can be a wicked mixdown format.if you have a cd burner in your computer,you're covered pretty well and can use some neat mastering software........big kahuna is right about the monitors,get some if at all possible.my new samass catalog has a set of samson dms-80 monitors that come with their own 40-watt per channel power amp for 219.00,i haven't used them,but they look like an inexpensive option to start with....don't underestimate your cable budget....i did when i was getting started and it drove me crazy getting all the cables i needed.BUY GOOD CABLES!.....good luck and most important of all,have fun doing it!.......peace

I already knew from somebody else about the importance of good cables, but thanks for the advice :)

Yup, I called the guys at the studio near me, and they said to get a pair of entry-level studio monitors would be about $1500 AUD. That was for the Event PS5. Does that sound right to you? That's a teensy bit over my initial budget so I may have to wait a couple more months for those.

I had thought about mixdown formats. A friend owns a CD production business and he said he'd be happy to burn CD's cheaply for me to begin with, so that isn't an initial problem. I have a standard Pioneer stereo at home in the lounge, were you saying I could mix down to that as an option? If so, how does that work? Other than that, I could buy a CD-R. Does it connect straight to the BR-8 through the Digital Out?

Thanks heaps for your patience people :)

Back