Pro tools and Outboard Gear

Schaddaddy

Pretty simple question really. Do any of you pro tools users use outboard gear to mix or know how to? If you do can you explain to me how you do it?

I don't use outboard gear, but there are two main ways to do it.
When you say to mix, I presume you're talking about a console?

Mixing whilst recording, on the way in.
You'd have all your mics feeding the mixing console, and direct outs per channel going into protools.
You'd use the console eqs, pans, inserts and faders to mix on the fly as the band play, and record the direct outputs into PT for further mixing or editing later.
Of course, you can do the above but take a stereo sum from the desk rather than multitrack, but that kinda defeats the purpose of having PT.

Mixing after recording, on the way out (and back in).
The other main way is to record as above but dry so you're not really mixing on the way in; You're just getting a good healthy clean signal.
Once done you'd have an interface with, say, 16 outputs and have your recorded tracks assigned to those hardware outputs, which are each assigned to a channel on the desk.

When you play the recorded mix it'd come out through 16 channels on your desk, and that's when you'd do your mixing.
This allows for sync and automation programming, if your console has it.
When you're happy that everything finished or you're ready for a real time bounce (depending on whether you have hardware automation or not), you'd set ProTools up to play out the 16 tracks but your also to record your mixer's stereo output onto a brand new stereo track.

Make sense?
There are more ways than that to skin the cat, but I guess they're probably the most common.

It's getting a lot less common to see people doing the actual mix on a large format console these days.
I suppose that's because the analog medium is dying out and so the need for real time mixing, or hardware automation dies out.

Any time.

There are some guys around here still rocking analog consoles, so maybe they'll come along with more real-world info. :)

Ha I would love to record analog but I just don't have the budget. I love analog, but now days u can make a decent sounding recording with a 50 dollar microphone, an interface and a laptop with pro tools. How much do you think a pro analog system would roughly cost?

Whoa...now you're asking.
It really depends what you want, I suppose.
When you say analog do you mean analog medium or just a nice mixing console?
How many channels?

You could very easily spend tens of thousands on a large format console, outboard comps, tape recorders, effects etc, or you could spend a comparatively small amount on an old Tascam 388 or something.

Out of interest, what's your point of reference. What have you heard, or used, that you like?

I was thinking on the lines of: a good mixer; 2 inch tape machine; then compressor, eq, effects etc. I'm not really to familiar so don't make fun if what I'm saying is totally off but ya haha

Just the complete analog system where I wouldn't need to touch a comptuter in the recording, mixing and mastering process

I was thinking on the lines of: a good mixer; 2 inch tape machine; then compressor, eq, effects etc. I'm not really to familiar so don't make fun if what I'm saying is totally off but ya haha

Haha! No fun making here.

It's entirely possible to set up something like that. I'm not really qualified to recommend specific machines because I just don't have the experience, but I know that the number of tracks you want will dictate the price bracket for mixer and tape recorder.

I imagine 2" will be getting you into the pricey bracket, but I'll let someone else tell you that for sure.

Outboard gear...the price is sort of up to you. You can spend a few hundred bucks on DBX 16** units, or you can spend a few thousand on UA pieces...There's a wealth of gear out there.

Are you hands on kind of person? I'd dissuade anyone from getting into analog gear of any kind unless they can confidently take apart and diagnose things. Even things like replacing a belt or power supply cap could save you a fortune over the years.

At very least you should have a mates-rates tech on hand. ;)

If you want to completely finish the process in analog, what will the end product be? Can I assume you want a digital copy for distribution or even just convenient listening?
If so you could record all your parts through a mixer with your eqs and effects what not, then when tracking is done you could bounce out through the mixer to a CD recorder (or 2 track tape recorder) for the final mix.
That'd give you time to ride any faders or pans, or whatever.

If you have a computer with a humble interface, you could use it as the final destination just as easily.

No worries.

Chances are some of the veterans will come along and recommend sleeper desks and recorders before too long.
Good luck. :)

Saw the video. Cool.

Does the Scarlett have the same mix software that the saffire series has, or are you monitoring through pt?

Back