Presonus studio 26 together with boss rc-30

marco.swe

Hello.
I have bought as a present for my girlfriend a Presonus Studio 26 DAW with Studio One Artist, A matched pair of 2 microphones Rode NT55 and a pair of KRK RP6 studio speakers to record some classical violin tracks.
I am trying to help her with the recording and, despite my total ignorance in the subject, we had quite good results and I also had quite a lot of fun in learning all the necessary and experimenting.

20171029_194811.jpg

She plays a classical historical violin and also a carbon fiber model for "modern projects" (still acoustic).

I have now just bought for her also a loop station: Boss RC-30.

Is there any way to use them in combination?
Is it possible to connect the microphone directly to the looping station and than connect the output to the main (microphone) input in the Presonus Studio 26 (channel 1/L for example)?

Or how should it be configured?

Any of you have ever tried something like that?

Thanks for your help guys! It is always precious :-)

/Marco

Yes Marco, you can rig the Boss looper into the Presonus AI, sort of!

I was surprised to see the Boss has an XLR mic input WITH phantom power so one of the Rode mics goes in there and the output of the Boss goes to a line input (TS jack) on the AI.

I note that the Studio 26 has 4 outputs (but only two inputs*) and so it is just possible you could put the looper in say 'out 3' and run it back into input one but that might need some creative routing done in the DAW and it MIGHT result in feedback...No harm just a bloody noise!

*As ever with noobs! ASK HERE FIRST!! Soooooo many times people just buy stuff and THEN find it does not quite meet their requirements. In this instance a 4 in/4 out AI was needed. My default NI KA6 would do but there are many more.

Dave.

As [MENTION=89697]ecc83[/MENTION] suggests, keeping one mic connected to the Presonus, and just connecting one of the mics directly to the Boss (phantom power on) and then taking the L/MONO output to the available input on the Presonus with a 1/4" cable, and setting the LINE level switch on for that channel is the most direct connection.

You'd need to look at any kind of software supplied to the Presonus to see if it's possible to isolate input tracks from being sent to specific outputs to try any kind of "reamping" or use of the LINE outs from the Presonus into the Boss, otherwise I also think you would create a feedback situation. Plus, the Boss only has an INST level input, so a transformer of some sort would be required to get the level right. It would be interesting to try, if it can be done, since that would let you experiment with different looper usages for a recorded track.

Post some tracks when you get it going!

Hello and thanks for your advises.
Does that means that I need to connect everything as before with the difference that I will connect one microphone to the RC-30 input and connect its output to the input of the Presonus?

Will that be OK?
New Doc 2017-12-16.jpg

IMO, the Boss is more a live effects pedal. You should be able to record a section in Studio One, and create a loop, hit recording on another track and record the new track with your loop. No loop pedal required. Especially with an acoustic instrument, having two mics always gives a better recording and with the Boss, it limits your input for the mics.

I just don't see the Boss as being that useful in the recording chain. Your DAW gives you a lot of flexibility.

Hello and thanks for your advises.
Does that means that I need to connect everything as before with the difference that I will connect one microphone to the RC-30 input and connect its output to the input of the Presonus?

Will that be OK?
View attachment 101354

Yes, the R/H configuration should work. N.B. you will not be able to have the speakers active AND a live mic, feedback. You will need to monitor on headphones.

The output from the RC-30 needs to go into a 'line' input. Some AIs don't have them but a 'high Z' guitar input should serve.

All props to DM-60, his might be the better way to do things but do not be afraid to experiment. You can plug almost any audio output into any audio input. Might not work, might hum, might feedback but keep gains low and advance them slowly! Nothing will smoke.

Dave.

Yes, the R/H configuration should work. N.B. you will not be able to have the speakers active AND a live mic, feedback. You will need to monitor on headphones.

The output from the RC-30 needs to go into a 'line' input. Some AIs don't have them but a 'high Z' guitar input should serve.

All props to DM-60, his might be the better way to do things but do not be afraid to experiment. You can plug almost any audio output into any audio input. Might not work, might hum, might feedback but keep gains low and advance them slowly! Nothing will smoke.

Dave.

I agree with Dave, don't be afraid to experiment for sure. Just understand what you are doing. Nothing is wrong if it sounds right and it achieves your goals.

Hi I'm a newbie so not really sure how or where to post this?
I just got my first looper pedal boss rc30 30 I have worked out the basics but can anyone tell me how I would go about recording a whole song?
I understand I can record a loop say the verse but then I want to add the chorus which will be different chords so I need to stop the verse loop and start the chorus then go back to the first verse loop then add the middle section etc.
Any help or pointers would be gratefully received ? Rik

It is considered bad form Rik to 'hijack' another's post thread to aske your own question. However I see they have similarities so, 'bad but not a hanging offence!

We need to know the rest of your recording chain. Do you have an Audio Interface ? Some recording software? If you have that you should from manuals and YT vids soon work out how to build tracks.

If not, you can't.

Dave.

Back