Presonus firepod and Tube PreAmp

danielelias

I am thinking about buying a presonus firepod and I had a question about it. I know that it has mic pre amps in it but what if I wanted to use a seperate rackmount tube pre amp like the Tube Ultragain from behringer. Would I and how would I be able to do that? Thanks for the help.

My advice would be to sell the Behringer and put the proceeds toward the price of the Firepod.

Also, if you don't have a need to record 8 tracks at a time, consider the smaller Presonus Firebox. It has 2 of basically the same mic preamps as the Firepod and 2 more lines in for connection of a mixing board.

I do need the 8 mics, I will be recording a whole band (including a 7 mic drum setup) so thats not an issue. Even if I don't use the behringer tube pre amp I am still wanting to get something with a tube in it to pre amp the mic. My question is will I be able to use some kind of a tube pre with the presonus firepod. Thanks

If the Firepod has Line inputs or TRS inputs then you can Plug the output from the Tube pre into these......

Cheers

danielelias said:
I do need the 8 mics, I will be recording a whole band (including a 7 mic drum setup) so thats not an issue. Even if I don't use the behringer tube pre amp I am still wanting to get something with a tube in it to pre amp the mic. My question is will I be able to use some kind of a tube pre with the presonus firepod. Thanks

A word of advice -- don't get your back up right away.

I misread your question not because I wanted to offer bad information but because you didn't mention that you wanted to keep your Behringer (if you even own one yet - that's still unclear) and wanted to record a full band.

Yes, the Firepod does have a stereo line in that could be used for something like a Behringer Tube Ultragain.

And welcome to the board - in the future think about your posts from the perspective of those of us who want to try to help, and more information rather than less is never wasted.

Don't get obsessed with tube mic pres unless you've got a fair bit of money to spend on a proper tube pre. The tube ultragain isn't a proper tube preamp, it's essentially a soild state pre with a tube thrown in the circuitry somewhere, even if it is providing a little gain it won't be running on full plate voltage and so won't be filling your signal with tube goodness.

Don't believe the budget tooob pre hype.

The preamps in the firepod would be just as good as any crappy starved plate tooob pre.

Here's how behringer get that tube glow:

Attachments

• ultragain-tube.jpg
    ultragain-tube.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 48
  • tube-glow.jpg
    tube-glow.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 50
Back