Preamp > preamp > interface?

Dougdlux

So... I was wondering, If I were to go through a $100 preamp into a $500 preamp then into my interface what would that do? Would there be interference, or would it just boost the signal more or would the second preamp take over the signal completely as it runs through it? The reason I ask is because I have a Nady preamp, shitty, but I basically want to you use it as something to plug my mics into, then from there go to the rest of my equipment.

So... I was wondering, If I were to go through a $100 preamp into a $500 preamp then into my interface what would that do? Would there be interference, or would it just boost the signal more or would the second preamp take over the signal completely as it runs through it? The reason I ask is because I have a Nady preamp, shitty, but I basically want to you use it as something to plug my mics into, then from there go to the rest of my equipment.

You don't want to run the signal through a preamp twice.

try it you maybe surprised. Remember more is less, oops i mean less is bad or whatever less is more. Why not ditch the nady??

It is the Nady Pra-8. It really isn't a bad 8 channel preamp for the price. I am thinking of ditching though, and getting maybe the M-Audio Octane 8 channel preamp, although it has a few unhappy reviews, I think it is something I am looking for. Also, I am getting the Firestudio Tube in Feb next year, so I wanted to have another Preamp for inputs 9-14. That way I have 16 all together.

Edit: The PRA 8 isn't bad for the fact that, my unit does not have any hum or hissing, and it gets the signal across quite well at an extremely low gain level with Phantom power on, without it, I don't get anything, possibly my mics. Still don't understand that whole shabang yet.

It is the Nady Pra-8. It really isn't a bad 8 channel preamp for the price.
No, it's a remarkably nice preamp. 8 channels fo $129 US. I bought one a couple of months ago.
Sounds like you haven't quite figured things out though.
You have condenser microphones.
That's why you don't get anything without phantom power.
What models of microphone do you have?
Where do yo go after the mic preamp?
Audio interface?

There is little to be gained by coupling two preamps serially. The purpose of a preamp is to raise a mike level to a line level. Once you have done that there is no need for an extra gain stage. You should choose the best preamp and go with that.

No, it's a remarkably nice preamp. 8 channels fo $129 US. I bought one a couple of months ago.
Sounds like you haven't quite figured things out though.
You have condenser microphones.
That's why you don't get anything without phantom power.
What models of microphone do you have?
Where do yo go after the mic preamp?
Audio interface?

Pretty sure everything is dynamic aside from my 2 over heads and vocal mic. Audix F10/F12/F15, Audix D6 (love this thing), SM57, and an MXL 990.

The MXL 990 is a condenser.
That one needs phantom power.
You're right about the drum set though.
I don't see any mention of an audio interface.
Are you recording on a computer or stand alone recorder?
I'm trying to establish your whole signal path.
So far you have given us your mics and preamps.
Where do your preamps feed into?
We'll get there.:)

haha Alright. Those mics and that preamp into a Digi 001 into my PC. My full setup, and of course running through Pro Tools.

Fair enough.
So, I see only 4 preamps on the Digi 001, plus SPDIF & Light-pipe.
I'm presuming your a drummer and your kit could use at least 4 preamps.
I'd suggest that you purchase the Behringer ADA8000.
That gives you an additional 8 channels right away.
I have one and it works great. Read the reviews.
The Nady is nice but it doesn't have the lightpipe.

This option falls well under the $500 you are about to spend.
http://www.zzounds.com/a--2676837/item--BEHADA8000

The 001 has only 2 preamps, channels 1 and 2. I know what I am going to do though. Firestudio Tube. It has 16 inputs, 10 of which have preamps. And if I need the other 6, I can just use my Nady, but I probably won't need that many.

But let me get one thing straight. The ADAT Lightpipe, I see this thrown around a lot..... This send 8 channels of audio, but does it send it to 8 extra separate channels in your DAW?

Yes.
You are usually restricted to 24/48.0 bit and sample rate but interfaces which have ADAT I/O invariably have a virtual console which shows up in tandem with your DAW and allows you to arm each individual track.
In other words, both the DAW and Interface will recognize it.
e.g. I have the Echo Mona which has 4 gorgeous preamps and its own virtual console.
No matter which DAW I use, I can open the Echo console and set it to allow my 8 more tracks from the Behringer.
When I go to arm those tracks in my DAW, those 8 digital tracks show up as options.
So, for around $250, my 4 track interface becomes an 8 track.
Don't get confused with digital SPDIF though, that's only 2 channels.

Back