Which Preamp???

Drumzz17

Okay, so i recently bought a Tascam DP-32, and my friend gave me a cheap ART Tube MP personal processor series preamp. Should i use the built in pre with my tascam, or should i use the external preamp? I'm using an MXL 990 condenser mic. Thanks:):guitar:

Honestly, that MXL 990 isn't a terrible mic. It's a good bang-for-buck mic, mainly because it's so few bucks! It has a somewhat harsh high-end, but it's pretty detailed for a sub-$100 mic. It was my first condenser mic, I guess I still have a bit of a soft spot for it. It's not gonna win any awards, but it's not terrible.

I own the stand-alone Tube MP and that's definitely not a very good preamp. It's really dark (which may actually balance out the brittle high end of the MXL 990). The Tube MP makes a better bass D/I than it does a mic preamp from my experience.

Go on ebay and get a CAD Equitek E100. It's the older mic, made in the USA. The newer E100 S is up around $400.00, at least. You'll probably get lucky and get the E100 for under $150.00. Ask the seller if he knows about the re-chargeable battery inside the thing--very important. That mic is very good; the original Equitek line (100, 200, 300--especially the 300--a tough aquire; it took me months to finally get one) is quite a buy. I've got them all, and they are really fine mics. You also can't go wrong with the CAD M179, another really good mic.

So do you think i should run it through the preamp until i get a better mic? Thanks for the reply by the way.

---------- Update ----------

okay, thanks so much!

The 990 is based on a Schoeps circuit design. Unfortunately, it is built with poor parts.
If you're the DIY type and look for mods for the mike, you'll come up with something in the $200-300 range (for circuit board and diaphragm replacement) that will give you a great sounding mike. There are options to make the mike large diaphragm or ribbon, depending on what you're looking for.
There are also some simple mods that just pull the "halo" off the capsule and/or remove parts of the screen to open it up that are quite easy (and cost nothing). Give a look around and see what you can find!
And, of course you can send it away to Michael Joly and have him replace board/diaphragm and head basket for $329. No DIY nerves or risk...

Back