Pre-amp VS Mixer

robbyrobmusik

I have had some gear for a little over 2 years now just practicing and perfecting my craft. I have a basic set up. Check my sig..

Now my question is i have the mic connected to my mixer and Im using that preamp. Would my recording quality be better if I had a separate mic preamp?

Just trying to get my sound up a notch and was wondering this..

so i would connect the mic to preamp then preamp to mixer?

also with this would i get a louder sound when recording? Im just recording vocals and I see with the Behringer I have to set the gain pretty high.. was wondering if getting a preamp would give me a better sound.

also with this would i get a louder sound when recording? Im just recording vocals and I see with the Behringer I have to set the gain pretty high.. was wondering if getting a preamp would give me a better sound.

Your mixer has preamps in it. If you get a separate preamp, then you'd skip the mixer altogether and connect the preamp output directly into a channel on your soundcard. Your goal in this instance would be to get better or different sounding preamps.

Soundcraft would be the best affordable mixer for this pourpose...I guess it all depends on what you can use it for...like if you want to play live too...then a mixer might be best for you...but in a home or commercial studio, those Neve and API preamps come much cheaper in racked pre form than buying a mixing board full of them.

Either connect the new preamp directly to your sound card, or connect to the channel inserts on your mixer (not the regular channel input).

also with this would i get a louder sound when recording?
No.
Im just recording vocals and I see with the Behringer I have to set the gain pretty high.. was wondering if getting a preamp would give me a better sound.
A better preamp would give you the possibility of a better sound provided you already know your room, microphones, and monitoring systems inside and out backwards and frontwards. There are about 10,000 things on a beginner's "to buy" list in front of preamp upgrades. Start with instruments, monitors, room treatments, and mics.

Back