Powered Mixer or Non-powered?

Comet Mutation

Hey,

Ok I'm buying either a Fostex MR8 or a VF80 (most likely the VF80). Either way there are only 2 inputs to record to so I'm told going with a mixer is the best bet. I have a yamaha EMX 88S. Would this work as a mixer or would I have to get something else? Also would a non powered mixer need a power amp to work with the recording unit?

Thanks!

You can record more instruments at one time with a mixer, but you can still only record them on two channels at one time with the MR8.

Right on then. So I should just pick up a standard mixer?
Yeah that's the one thing I was meaning to ask too.

Even though the mixer may let you have x amount of inputs, when only being able to record 2 channels at a time will it still pick up all the instruments that are plugged into the mixer?

Last edited:
Hey comet

i'm not sure what the yamaha you described is...but if it has a LINE OUT you can probably use it.

please (it it has power) dont plug the speaker connectors into the MR-8, just the LINE OUT

now, you can fill up every hole on the mixer and yes you can record ALL of them at once. BUT, it will be on two mixing channels.

If everyone nails it, and there are no mistakes, or if you are willing to live with the mistakes, you have it made.

But if one person commits a boo-boo, everybody goes again!!

Having more than 1 instrument on a track really limits your mixing options. This won't be an issue if you only record 1 instrument at a time, but if you want to record drums, you need at least 3 or 4 tracks for snare, kick & ohead mics. Ditto if you plan on recording a band

The setup you are going to use will require you to compensate with a lot of additional purchase such as outboard dynamic effect units. You literally have to get the drums right the first time to lay them to a stereo track. If you can accomplish that, then you can overdub everything else and just build upon the drums, however I've noticed in the past that when I attempted to do this the instruments I layered over the stereo drum track wouldn't set right in the mix for some reason.

You might want to save your money and invest in a recorder that allows you to record multiple tracks at once. This of course applies only if you are serious about recording. If you are just wanting to use this as a scratchpad for ideas, then no need to go into debt. Keep it simple.

you don't need another mixer.

If you only have two inputs on your recorder, just use the rca tape outs on the yamaha. I got started on a very similar system (the old yamaha 620 4 channel powered mixer). It works.

I will say though that powered mixers are not great for recording.

If you have tons of dough to throw around, I would probably get a passive mixer but I there are plenty of other things to buy first.

Back