Possible to isolate vocals?

lordbodom

Is it possible to isolate vocals from a song? I want to try covering a song and use the original vocals and wondering if there is a way to remove just the vocals from the song so I can use on my track? I checked out some audacity videos but doesnt seem to do the job too well. Most of the instructions i see are removing the vocals completly, not isolating them?

Is it possible to isolate vocals from a song? I want to try covering a song and use the original vocals and wondering if there is a way to remove just the vocals from the song so I can use on my track? I checked out some audacity videos but doesnt seem to do the job too well. Most of the instructions i see are removing the vocals completly, not isolating them?

It's hit and miss but theoretically, if the vocals are the only information that is shared between left and right, you can eliminate them.
If you can eliminate them, then you can set that against the original recording, but with the polarity flipped, to get vocal only.

Really though, I've don't think I've ever got a good result trying this.

If it is a song that would be part of the rock band/guitar hero games, you canprobably go to youtube and type in the name of the song and 'isolated vocals' and find it. It's amazing how many songs you can find in stem form on youtube.

Wait. from what I understand from the OP, it seems that he wants to do the opposite of what people usually ask. Unless I'm wrong, he wants to remove everything BUT the vocals, unless I'm reading it wrong.

Wait. from what I understand from the OP, it seems that he wants to do the opposite of what people usually ask. Unless I'm wrong, he wants to remove everything BUT the vocals, unless I'm reading it wrong.

Correct. I want to remove everything but the vocals. Everything else i want to practice by recording myself and just add the vocals on top.

Correct. I want to remove everything but the vocals. Everything else i want to practice by recording myself and just add the vocals on top.

I wish I could help. I don't know if there's a program that will do that for you. But if you do figure out a way to isolate the vocals, you'll have to figure out the BPM of the tune if you're going to be laying down tracks from scratch and then adding the vocal track after.

There are a few BPM programs that make it easy to figure ou. Here's one:

Audio Downloads : TapTempo /// AnalogX

I wish I could help. I don't know if there's a program that will do that for you. But if you do figure out a way to isolate the vocals, you'll have to figure out the BPM of the tune if you're going to be laying down tracks from scratch and then adding the vocal track after.

There are a few BPM programs that make it easy to figure ou. Here's one:

Audio Downloads : TapTempo /// AnalogX

Thanks you read my mind. Trying to get tempos to match up is becoming more difficult than i thought. I imported midi drum tracks and found on youtube a isolated vocal track, but trying to get them to time up is becoming a challenge. Tried time stretching but doesnt match up full way. I guess i will keep fiddling around.

If you can effectively remove the vocals then you can remove everything but the vocals. Simply invert the polarity of the no-vocals track and mix it with the original.

A lot of tracks are mastered so that the vocal track is the only fully centered track. So you can say invert the right track and mix it with the left track to remove the vocal to have a karaoke track. Once you have that track you can invert it and mix it with the original and get just the vocal. Which you can do in audacity and most audio applications. Not all tracks are mastered this way so it will be hit and miss. And you'll have less than pristine results since not every non-vocal sound will cancel out and some of the vocals might have high artifacting depending on the same rate.

Adobe Audition has a feature called "Centre Channel Extractor" which works pretty much as bouldersoundguy says...it's a conventional vocal eliminator but with the ability to invert polarity and recover the vocal only built in. It also features some tweaks and adjustments to optimise the process.

However, it suffers from exactly the same issues as other vocal eliminators--it relies on vocals being panned centrally with everything else in the mix being off centre. Given those conditions it works a treat but, as soon as something else is in the centre or there's a stereo reverb or whatever then results are pretty patchy.

However, I guess the OP could download the month free trial of Audition CC 2014 and see if it does what he needs.

Back