Pop filters

DarrenVocal

Hello there people of HR, I would like to make an inquiry about the metal pop filter

I've bought a mesh pop filter recently for $50 SGD and it apparently doesn't work all that great. It does remove that false peaking in the sound, but the ''boom" is still there, which makes it not ideal for me. Also, I heard metal pop filters alters some frequencies, is that true?

Metal filters can change the sound, as can also nylon filters.

Th Håkan P110 Pop Killer is a foam filter with specially selected foam that will not colour the sound - also the foam is hydrophobic so that is will not absorb moisture that will also colour the sound.

I have attached a picture of the data sheet:-

Attachments

• M930EH93PP110.jpg
    M930EH93PP110.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 233
If a mesh filter isn't working, you are way too close to the Mic. You can also get rid of most of it by not singing directly into the Mic. Raise the Mic up and point it at the bridge of your nose about 6 inches to a foot away.

If a mesh filter isn't working, you are way too close to the Mic. You can also get rid of most of it by not singing directly into the Mic. Raise the Mic up and point it at the bridge of your nose about 6 inches to a foot away.

^^^THIS^^^

Don't sing directly at the mic and you don't even need a pop filter :thumbs up:

I would ALWAYS use a pop filter if for no other reason but to prevent everyone's (including my own) spit from hitting the mic/capsules...unless we're talking $100 mics.

I would ALWAYS use a pop filter if for no other reason but to prevent everyone's (including my own) spit from hitting the mic/capsules...unless we're talking $100 mics.

I always use one as well and would always recommend using one, I was just saying you can do without. :thumbs up:

I remember one time back during band days we had to remove the head/metal mesh off of some mics that we used for vocals on stage....and WOW!!!...the amount of nasty looking gunk that was all over everything was disgusting.
Of course, this was also back when smoking in bars was allowed, so that didn't help any.

I remember one time back during band days we had to remove the head/metal mesh off of some mics that we used for vocals on stage....and WOW!!!...the amount of nasty looking gunk that was all over everything was disgusting.
Of course, this was also back when smoking in bars was allowed, so that didn't help any.

Hahaha. Like sharing a mic after a singer with real bad breath has used it. There's nothing as foul. After a while I bought my own mic to take to gigs.

Even if you think 'backing off' the mic is the solution to reduce pops or boominess, an inexpensive pop filter is perfect for keeping uniform distance to the mic.

Even if you think 'backing off' the mic is the solution to reduce pops or boominess, an inexpensive pop filter is perfect for keeping uniform distance to the mic.
You can also use it as a target to sing into when you want the mic above, but you don't want the singer craning his neck to sing into it.

I'm so used to singing live with my mouth touching a 57, that what I do in the studio is I have a 57 touching the other side of my pop screen and my actual recording mic about 4" back. So, I can put my mouth up close to the 57 and still be the right distance from my condensor.

I use a hanger and a nylon sock. Works fine.

Don't sing directly at the mic and you don't even need a pop filter :thumbs up:
I also use a pair of tights spun around some gardening wire. Works great. I also set the mike above the level of the mouth. But the way I set my preamp, no one needs to get within five feet of the mic !

Seems you're not named mr. Clean for nothing :D
And he'll wipe your tapes for you, free of charge.

Hahaha. Like sharing a mic after a singer with real bad breath has used it. There's nothing as foul. After a while I bought my own mic to take to gigs.

The singer in our band still claims this is how he caught glandular fever :rolleyes:

Maybe it's just me, but i really like metal pop filters. i bought a nylon one many years back and never had any problems with it, then tried sE's crazy "dual pop filter" that came free with one of their mics and thought "hmm, i wonder what the metal one on it's own is like". I wouldn't say i was gobsmacked but there was a definite difference; clearer and sweeter sounding. I'd only borrowed it and didn't fancy spending £90 on one myself but got one of the standard sE metal pop filters thrown in with a mic a recently and i'm a big fan. It doesn't seem as effective as my nylon one for plosives so sometimes still go back to the nylon one when i need to but a majority of the time the metal one is great :)

Hello there people of HR, I would like to make an inquiry about the metal pop filter

I've bought a mesh pop filter recently for $50 SGD and it apparently doesn't work all that great. It does remove that false peaking in the sound, but the ''boom" is still there, which makes it not ideal for me. Also, I heard metal pop filters alters some frequencies, is that true?

to save some money you should try a few DIY, like the nylon sock on a wire or possibly go to a hardware store and try different foams of air filters etc.., or metal meshing too, maybe even plastic meshing like the kind you repair drywall with.

I had a low rumble thing going on a few weeks back, and found it to be the mic stand/mic holder. The SM57 was helped by some foam on the mic stand and a pop-filter for the "p" poplosives. ..some eq and it was right there with the SM7b..imo

or get an SM7b which has the metal mesh, the nylonish cover, and a fat foam piece.. with a nice stand holder, I guess thats $150 in accessories? plus it forces you to be a decent distance from the diaphragm by design. might be what you're looking for?

Another $50 bucks in Metal Mesh filtering is the other option....probably nothing wrong with having that tool in the studio.

Back