Podcast and Skype

stevegb13

Hi,

I record a podcast and prefer a live feel where the hosts react to sound effects etc.

Here was my setup:

Beringher 1002B mixer with 5 mics and an iPod Touch playing out the jingles and intro etc.

This was hooked into the Line in on my mac and the hosts would hear the jingles using a 5 way headphone splitter. I'd use the headphone vol so they could hear and then bring it down during the chat.

Now we have skype hosts. So the simply moved the headphone splitter to the headphone out on my mac and we can all hear everyone and skype does a good job recording both sides of the conversation.

The problem is that now the skype guys can hear the jingles but the guys in studio can't! any ideas how to work this so we can all hear each other and the jingles too?

Regards

Steve

1. My first idea would be to play the jingles from the Mac instead of the iPod Touch. Wouldn't it then playback through the headphones along with Skype? Or would that be too much of a hassle?

2. I just thought of something else. Can you bring the audio from the Mac (headphone out) back into the mixer via a line input, then move your headphone splitter back to the mixer and monitor from there? That way you could have the jingles and Skype in your headphones, and even your mics if you want.

I'm not sure what the limitations are on the mixer, but I would give that a shot...
Did I miss something?

3. You could hook some speakers up to the mixer to have the jingles play through. But then it would bleed into the mics.

There's a great free application for Mac called LineIn. It basically lets you select an input and an output and then pass-thru so you can monitor the input. There is a slight delay between when the input is received and when the output is played, however it shouldn't affect you and is only noticable when you are monitoring a microphone. You could set your Mac line-in port (or whatever you choose to hook the iPod into) as the input, and set the Mac headphone jack as the output.

Find it here, third one down on the list: http://www.rogueamoeba.com/freebies/

Getting there

Okay,

Here is where I am.

I have 5 mics going into to the mixer and my mac going in via the aux channel.

Every day PC sounds play out through the mixer to a pair of speakers. Sounds good.

when recording I turn these off. I found a neat function on the mixer where you can monitor what is going on and has a separate output to the main output. In addition to this each channel has a volume control to hear what goes into this mix. So, I turned off the mics and just left the aux on so the people in studio hear the jingles and the skype people and the skype people hear us and the jingle. i recorded this directlyinto audacity and to be honest. The quality is really good.

My only slight point is that the monitor sends seems to send out stereo but into just the left chanel. What I mean is that we have a jingle that has distinct left and right components and we can hear both but just in the left ear. Any ideas?

Steve

What about me,i use imcapture. com IMCapture for Skype.It's prog for record audio and video calls.I like this simple prog.

My only slight point is that the monitor sends seems to send out stereo but into just the left chanel. What I mean is that we have a jingle that has distinct left and right components and we can hear both but just in the left ear. Any ideas?

The monitor send is unbalanced mono on a 1/4" TS phone jack. It doesn't carry a stereo signal and only connects the the left side of stereo connector plugged into it. What you need is to get or build a cable that splits the mono so that it goes to left and right of the headphones. It will still be mono but at least it will be in both ears.

Back