Podcast recording help

stevegb13

All,

Currently I am using two shure C606 mics plugged into an m-audio mobile pre that goes into my mac for our podcast.

So far so good. Being on a tight budget (and it seems I'm the one who has to pay for everything) my hosts are fed up sharing mics so went out and bought a C606 each. So now I have four! However, the m-audio only has two XLR inputs.

Being the clever chaps my co-hosts are, and to take the burden off my wallet, have ordered two XLR splitter cables so I can plug 2 mics into each channel.

First, will this work?

Second, I'm not interested in isolating each person's voice as a discrete track. I just want to get all four of us on the show without eaither smelling each other's breath or fighting over the mic :) In principal I'm quite happy with this solution ........... but not being even remotely close to a sound engineer have a horrible feeling.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Regards

Sorry, that's probably not going to work. Not sure what exactly will happen, but most likely you'll get half the signal level from each mic. One mic, one mic preamp, that's what you need. You would do better buying a small 4 channel mixer, taking the stereo outs to your m-audio.

If the splitters don't work, it might be possible to run two of the mics through a seperate preamp and then into the splitters OR into the 1/4 inch ins on the MobilePre. It might be cheaper to get a bigger interface, though.

Wow, it works. I have 4 mics on my mobile pre without any noticeable loss of quality! I honestly didn't think this would work. It's kind of ironic because I was gifted a Lindy USB 2 XLR converter with another that sounds awesome. Plus it seems to work just fine as an aggregate device on my mac with my mobile pre. Looks like I now have two options to record 4 mics or possible jump to six if our show grows that big!

our podcast

can be found www.theoverlords.co.uk

Episode 13 will be recorded with the splitters. The last two episodes have been plagued with Garageband issues i think caused by aggregate audio devices.

Next week we'll be able to hear it in the field.

Steve

Nice 'cast! I noticed the volume seem a little low on the episode I listened to... if you're on a Mac there's a great app called the Levelator that will take your levels right up to where they should be. If you're on a PC I'd recommend normalizing and boosting the master volume as much as you can (don't clip.) Good luck, keep on going!

Back