PLS help me record vinyl in to my computer

Emirioz

Hello everyone,

I would like to record vinyl to my mac pro late 2013.
I'm using a usb turntable Nikkei NTT05U.
And i have a Universal audio twin solo audio interface.

When i plug the usb from the turntable directly to the mac and i use audacity for that i do not hear nothing when i try to record it. Not in playback or when i turn the turntable on. just a little bit of noise.
When i change the input and output to the turntable is still dont hear anything.
I want to plug the turntable to my audio interface (how do i do that) and then record it into my daw.

I work with Logic pro x and i want to sample vinyl from time to time.
What am i doing wrong? Please can somebody help me because on other sites i cant find a answer to my question.

Many thanks

Emir

Firstly - the two phono connectors CAN NOT go to a normal audio interface. The levels are way too low, but importantly, the audio interface would need RIAA eq curve - because vinyl has very little bass recorded on it, and the preamp needs to stick it back! On your Mac - when you go to system preferences, sound - does the turntable show up in the list? The Mac should recognise the turntable as an audio device - if it doesn't then you need to seek more help. If it is in the list, select it and then recording should work fine. It's an early USB 1.1 interface, so the Mac should see it with no trouble.

As Rob said, the TTable should come up as a USB device but if not, this...Behringer UFO202 U-phono USB Audio Interface: Amazon.co.uk: Musical Instruments is a cheap solution.

better would be a phono pre amp to feed the line inputs of the Apollo such as the Art DJ Pre ll. There are even more expensive "audiophool" RIAA pre amps but hardly warranted given the budget nature of the turntable. Another option is a S/H integrated amplifier from a charity shop.

Dave.

Does the turntable record but you can't monitor, or not recording at all?

Do a test, plug in the turntable, play something and record it. Is there then a sound file to play back? IF so does it play back? I am asking as it may be a simple monitor selection in the software.

Alan.

My guess is that the MacBook is still connecting to the built in microphone, and the switch to the new device just hasn't been done.

Does the turntable record but you can't monitor, or not recording at all?

Do a test, plug in the turntable, play something and record it. Is there then a sound file to play back? IF so does it play back? I am asking as it may be a simple monitor selection in the software.

The turntable doesn't record at all. So when i press record in Audacity i dont see a waveform. When i play it back i just hear a little bit of noise.

My mac recognizes the turntable when i plug it in.

Yes the turntable shows up in the list. I select it and then i try to record directly in to the computer via Usb.When i'm in audacity i click record but still no sound

Yes the turntable shows up in the list. I select it and then i try to record directly in to the computer via Usb.When i'm in audacity i click record but still no sound

Can you record "the bit of noise" and post it? (attached as 320k MP3 works best for me. 10secs as .wav would be better but, Hey, ho!)

Dave.

Ok, that noise spectrum tells me the pickup amplifier and USB converter it working, why?

The steep downward slope of amplitude with frequency and the MUHASIVE! amount of 50Hz hum and endless harmonics!

My bet is the cartridge is buggered in someway, open circuit? Could be the stylus is displaced but then I would not expect it to track a record.

Dave.

Attachments

• Spectrumttnoise.png
    Spectrumttnoise.png
    42 KB · Views: 8
Hey Dave, Thanks for the help.
It's obvious i'm a noob at this.

Its odd because when i play the record i can hear a little bit of sound from the recordplayer itself but really quiet.
What does that tell you?
And what do you suggest i do next?

Hey Dave, Thanks for the help.
It's obvious i'm a noob at this.

Its odd because when i play the record i can hear a little bit of sound from the recordplayer itself but really quiet.
What does that tell you?
And what do you suggest i do next?

Sorry, been a'bed! That tells me the stylus is probably properly seated in the cartridge cantilever. What you hear is called "needle echo" something the beardy tweaks strive to shut out.

This also means to me that it is the cartridge that has failed...BUT! In some 50 years of messing with hi fi I don't ever recall one failing! Certainly not BOTH channels so, look at the tonearm wiring. Might be a plug adrift inside? You really need to test the TT into an amplifier.

Dave.

Hey Dave thanks for the reply.

yeah strange. I checked the wiring and everything seems fine.

What kind of amplifier do you suggest for my particular turntable. Nikkei NTT05U.

---------- Update ----------

yes

Hey Dave thanks for the reply.

yeah strange. I checked the wiring and everything seems fine.

What kind of amplifier do you suggest for my particular turntable. Nikkei NTT05U.

---------- Update ----------

yes

Almost any amplifier is going to tell you if it works. I see integrated amps by Sony, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha et al, at charity shops all the time. You just need something with a line (RCA) input and a few watts output.

Dave.

Back