Please suggest starter system that won't limit future

ric1234

I plan to get a 4-track recorder for my VERY musically inclined daughters to start recording. However, in looking at the lower end TASCAM recorders I think I may be limiting the future. I'd really like to record digitally, but is there something out there that's comparable in features? What features to I need to look for on an analog 4-Track? Midi out? I know it probably depends on budget, but would I be better off with a PortaStudio or is that wasted $ if the do well and want to record digitally?

If anyone can direct me to a list of the real stuff I need please let me know! Thanks in advance!!!

All systems limit you in someway, so it's all a matter of budget, really.

You can get pretty far with a casette-porta, a good mic and a nice multi-effects box. If you are bying an casette-porta, make sure it goes with double the speed of a normal casette. But of course, if you have the budget, a good digital 8-track will get you further...

The most important question to be asked of you is ...
What is your budget?. By determining that others and myself can assist you into what is the best bang for your dollar!

My budget and objectives.....

I was thinking about $300 for a used 4 track, $100 or so for a mic or 2, $50 for cables, supplies... Also maybe from Studio software for a PC, but I don't know if I can record from the Tape to the CD. I already have a CD burner.. Also, I saw a "package" of stuff on Musiciansfriend.com. I guess I know I'll be over $1000 easy with a digital setup, but is that better to start with that? Used (eBay) or new? I'd rather spend the $ on good stuff than use crap or outgrow it super fast.

My objectives are: Buy something that can grow later if needed, provide an easy to use system for my daughters (they are 8 and 10, but VERY smart), allow for upgrades later, and allow for recording CD's and possibly doing mixing/post on a computer. Thanks for the help!!

Yo RIC 1anda 2 anda 3anda 4: Shades of Welk.

If you buy any recorder, get an 8 track. This will give your talented daughters more room to be creative without the hassle of bouncing tracks and losing control, say, over a very nice solo or vocal. If you don't know, each single track you record when overdubbing, [doing chords and bass and then adding the other parts and vocals], can be tweaked. If you bounce two track or three tracks to one track, you can tweak that track but you can't control the two or three cuts you've bounced; you can only add the same thing to all three which, isn't what you really want.

I won't mention any brand names because there are so many good units out there. But, if you want to expand the talent of your daughters, get an 8 track, a Lexicon reverb unit, [unless you get FX with the recorder you buy.]

See if you can get some demos by going to a dealer if one is nearby that carries a plethora of gear.

And, if your daughters need any further help, have them send out a line to the,

Green Hornet

Or, any of the very talented people who offer their expertise and time to help beginners.

I agree w/ G.H. You can get a digital 8-track called the BR-8 from Boss for roughly the same amount as a high quality 4-track.

Thats twice the tracks, on-board effects, midi controllable, analog and digital outs, etc...etc...

I think that you might be able to find some info on te BR-8 @ http://www.roland.com

L 8 r
J

support this musician @
http://www.mp3.com/joenovice

Well, the good thing with the BR-8 and most other things is that it has effects built in. But still there is a Yamaha MT4X on ebay for 38 bucks, and there seem to be others like it. IMHO thats practically free. The Boss BR-8s are $500... So there's a whopping difference. :)

Back