Please help! need advise about connecting external pre amps to apogee ensemble

Brassguy2015

Dear Forum,

I am new to recording and I am in need of some expert advise . I have an apogee ensemble firewire. It comes with 4 xlr inputs and 4 line inputs. I would like to track drums using all the inputs on my apogee ensemble.
I have a focusrite octopre mkII dynamic mic pre ( 8ch). I know I can extend the i/o via ADAT. That's not my issue. My issue is I would like to utilize the remanding 4 line inputs on my apogee.
Is there a way i can use the focusrite octopre XLR inputs in standalone mode and connect the focusrite to my line inputs of my ensemble? It's a shame to waste those inputs on the apogee.

Also, would I still get the same audio conversion of the apogee by going line in , or would i get the conversion of the focusrite?

Would i still have to use the word clock cable to connect them both?

What would some of you pros do in my position?

Any help would be very much appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to read this.This stuff can get very confusing!!!

You can send the outputs of the Focusrite to the inputs on the Apogee... The Apogee would then be doing the conversion.

Try both and see which sounds better.

As far as it being a shame to waste the inputs, just get more preamps - or don't worry about 'em. I probably have 30 input points - but I rarely ever use more than two...

Yes the Apogee will be doing the converting. Worth asking though! The Behringer ADA 8**** units cannot output the pre amps directly and you have to loop the ADAT ports.

Dave.

Back