Please help with a hair pulling problem!

Quantumfoam

So when I record a vocal take I make sure my input levels are good above -6db and set on mono. When I go to play it back I get a low volume muddy sounding vocal!
I don't understand why because I know my gear is good, when I'm self monotring it sounds good, crisp, warm, and clean. I just don't know what I can do right now. I'm a bit new to this so if anyone can help I'd really appreciate it thank you.

What does it sound **** in the headphones before or during record? Unless you've accidentally patched in some nasty eq and a poorly set compressor, what goes in is what comes out, so something else is working against you. What software, and has it ever worked properly, or has it always been like this?

What does it sound **** in the headphones before or during record? Unless you've accidentally patched in some nasty eq and a poorly set compressor, what goes in is what comes out, so something else is working against you. What software, and has it ever worked properly, or has it always been like this?

When I'm self monitoring it sounds good and clean but when I playback what recorded then it sounds bad. No eq or compressor accidentally patched. I've tried fl studio 12 but with that I got heavily distorted loud playback recordings and reaper which is what I'm using right now are just super quiet bad vocals.

When you play the take back, it's still above -6db right? Maybe engaging the high pass filter on the mic will get rid of some of the muddiness.

WTF are you recording at above -6dB? And on what?

Even if you were an archaic "tapist" you would not record that hot!

Dave.

What scale? That is, -6dBFS, -6dBVU, -6dBu? I suppose we should assume -6dBFS, which is a bit hot. Make your average level -18dBFS, with peaks well below -6dBFS. Which is to say, while you're singing the level meter should cross the -18dBFS mark a little but never exceed -6dBFS.

But a simple level error like that shouldn't make the playback sound muddy. There may be something else going on.

- What interface?
- At 2 inches the proximity effect might make the bass/low seem boosted contributing to muddiness. Have you tried further back?
- Assuming using a pop filter(?)

What scale? That is, -6dBFS, -6dBVU, -6dBu? I suppose we should assume -6dBFS, which is a bit hot. Make your average level -18dBFS, with peaks well below -6dBFS. Which is to say, while you're singing the level meter should cross the -18dBFS mark a little but never exceed -6dBFS.

But a simple level error like that shouldn't make the playback sound muddy. There may be something else going on.

Ok will do thank you for the tip. I think it might some other sort of problem going on.

- What interface?
- At 2 inches the proximity effect might make the bass/low seem boosted contributing to muddiness. Have you tried further back?
- Assuming using a pop filter(?)

Interface: TASCAM US-366
and I have but it's still sounding low and bad, and yes I have a pop filter.

Can you post a clip, please?
I'm thinking it might sound like it's meant to. :eek:

Are you used to hearing your own voice played back?

Can you post a clip, please?
I'm thinking it might sound like it's meant to. :eek:

Are you used to hearing your own voice played back?

Yes I can but a bit later today if you don't mind. I'm used to it a bit haha but I really don't think it should sound that low even the wave forms are small I know they're supposed to look bigger.

Possibility: You are hearing the live audio. But you may be recording the audio at some (accidental?) low sampling rate?

Back