picking Studio Monitors

darren2k

Are Tannoy Reveal 502 Studio Monitors any good for a bedroom studio? building my first studio so I am not sure which ones but willing to pay around £350.00p for a pair .

I've got them and really like them. I imagine my ears are probably lying to me in my roughly 18 1/2' x 20' room due to no room treatment yet, but the monitors themselves are nice, powerful enough, and do not appear to add any (or much) self noise. I got them a few months ago and have no regrets.

If you haven't budgeted for acoustic treatment yet, do so. The best monitors in the world could still suck in a room with bad acoustics.

The final choice of monitors come down to the individual taste. However as said before, the room needs to sound good before you can judge. I have seen a lot of bad amateur reviews on monitors because the buyer thought that the new monitors would somehow make their mixes sound awesome when the room is horrible and there is no magic monitors.

Alan.

Others are right about the need to sort out your room acoustics, but I've used Tannoy Reveals in the past (both the 502 and 802) and was impressed by the quality and accuracy.

I chose my Tannoy 5As on the basis of reading as many reviews as possible and a magazine "shootout" where they trounced monitors nearly twice their price in a blind test. But THE most convincing aspects for me were...
1)I don't remember a time when Tannoy were not around!
2) They have a very good reputation and tho' the 5As are budget monitors I am sure they would not sell anything to besmirch that reputation?
3)They largely stick to speakers, i.e. they don't also sell every other audio gimcrack you can think of!

Ok, they won't go very low or very loud but for my son's "classical" and jazz leanings, perfek!

OP, "Room treatment". If you have the typical projjy bedroom "studio" say sub 1500cu ft you will not have room for much in the way of bass trapping (I have 1222cu ft and have very little and even less space!) so about the best you can do is attend to "early reflections" to get a good stereo image. Look up the Studio SOS articles in Studio Sound.

Dave.

Back