Piano sounding awful through the headphones

zlatan

Hey guys, I'm wondering if anyone knows how I could sort this issue out:

I'm a complete noob when it comes to recording!

I have a Nord Stage 2 which sounds beautiful when I use the headphones straight out of the back of it, but once I go through my Sound Card and Logic Pro X, it sounds awful. Really thin and tinny.
Does anyone know how I could sort this out? I just want it to sound like it does when it comes out of the Nord itself.

I have a Focusrite Saffire (original one) sound card and I'm not sure if that's the problem or not?

Thanks in advance!

Hi,
Can you describe, or photograph, the cables and inputs/outputs that you're using to get the nord connected to your sound card?
Also, on the software end, can you confirm that you're getting two separate channels of audio input and that they're panned left and right respectively?

It sounds like one one channel is being inverted at some point, you're only hearing one of the channels, or the playback that you're hearing has both channels panned centre.

Tell us more to be sure. :)

How are you connecting the piano to the Saffire, i.e., what outs/ins are being used. Which Saffire model are you using and how are the Nord outputs configured, if you aren't using the defaults (1&2, according to the manual)?

Hi Steenamaroo, thanks so much for the quick reply!

I'm taking a mono out feed (1/4 inch jack to jack cable) from the Nord into input 1 on the sound card. I can take pictures if its easier to explain it?

It sounds like one one channel is being inverted at some point, you're only hearing one of the channels, or the playback that you're hearing has both channels panned centre....
Yes, could be a phase issue, so with those channels panned LR, does either sound OK solo'd?

Ok,

I'm taking a mono out feed (1/4 inch jack to jack cable) from the Nord into input 1 on the sound card. I can take pictures if its easier to explain it?

That's ch 1 output on the rear of the nord, right?

I don't know for certain that the nord output should be stereo; I presume that's patch dependent, but it seems like it would be a good idea to rig up outputs 1+2 to interface inputs 1+2.
Assuming you get a feed from both of those, go ahead and make sure 1 is panned left and 2 is panned right in your DAW.

On the interface...
If your model has rear jack line inputs, use two of those.
If it doesn't and you're having to use the front combo inputs, make sure to use TS cables and make sure that line/inst switches are set to 'line'.

Hi Keith,

It's Output 1 on the Nord into Input 1 on the Sound Card. The model is just called the Saffire (think it might be the first one they did lol, or at least the cheapest one). I think the Nord outputs should be configured to 1&2, I didn't change anything when initially installing it. I'll try find out what it says on the Soundcard program (which is really glitchy these days too) and in Logic.

Thank you

Hi Keith,

It's Output 1 on the Nord into Input 1 on the Sound Card. The model is just called the Saffire (think it might be the first one they did lol, or at least the cheapest one). I think the Nord outputs should be configured to 1&2, I didn't change anything when initially installing it. I'll try find out what it says on the Soundcard program (which is really glitchy these days too) and in Logic.

Thank you

Cool. I'd try that - A second cable going from nord out 2 to interface in 2, panned L+R in your DAW.

Hi Steenamaroo, thanks so much for the quick reply!

The manual isn't obvious, but it seems like you need to set the piano mode to MONO, and then use outputs 3 or 4 in that mode?

Output Routing
The Nord Stage 2 has four audio outputs. Each instrument can be
freely assigned to output 1&2 (default) or 3&4 in stereo, or to output
3 or 4 in mono. The output routings can be set for each program, or
globally for all programs. The Global setting is the default setting. In
global mode, the routing settings stored with the program are overridden
by the global settings. See the System Menu chapter on page 42 for
more information about the output routings.
Piano Audio A/B Output
This allows you to set which channel output pairs (or mono output) to
use for the Piano A and B sections. Use the Slot A & B buttons to access
the settings for each Slot. If the Output Routing (see above) is set
to “Program”, these settings will be saved with the program.
Range: “1 & 2” (Default), ”3 & 4”, ”3” ,”4”

The manual isn't obvious, but it seems like you need to set the piano mode to MONO, and then use outputs 3 or 4 in that mode?

Output Routing
The Nord Stage 2 has four audio outputs. Each instrument can be
freely assigned to output 1&2 (default) or 3&4 in stereo, or to output
3 or 4 in mono. The output routings can be set for each program, or
globally for all programs. The Global setting is the default setting. In
global mode, the routing settings stored with the program are overridden
by the global settings. See the System Menu chapter on page 42 for
more information about the output routings.
Piano Audio A/B Output
This allows you to set which channel output pairs (or mono output) to
use for the Piano A and B sections. Use the Slot A & B buttons to access
the settings for each Slot. If the Output Routing (see above) is set
to “Program”, these settings will be saved with the program.
Range: “1 & 2” (Default), ”3 & 4”, ”3” ,”4”

Damn, that isn't obvious.

I'd take from it that 1+2 are default stereo outputs, though, and nothing needs changed.
It seems like they only mentioned stereo+mono because 3+4 can be used as a pair or as individual monos.

It's certainly open to interpretation, all the same. :p

Edit:
OP, if you run a second cable as described, or even simply switch your existing cable to output 2, and get a signal, that would go some way to confirming that 1+2 are operating as a stereo pair.

Damn, that isn't obvious.

I'd take from it that 1+2 are default stereo outputs, though, and nothing needs changed.
It seems like they only mentioned stereo+mono because 3+4 can be used as a pair or as individual monos.

It's certainly open to interpretation, all the same. :p
If [MENTION=196264]zlatan[/MENTION] (OP) is running a single mono cable to the interface, then mono mode and output 3 or 4 should be the one that goes to the Saffire, is how I read that gobbledygook...

AHHHHHHH Thanks so much guys!!

You were right about it needing to be in Stereo and panning it Left + Right. It sounds exactly like the headphone output now. This has been bugging me for weeks!

Time to get a new sound card I think as this one is only 2 inputs, so nobody gets to record live with me haha

Cool. Glad to help. :)

Have a search for interface recommendations or ask around here.
There's plenty of people to give info and maybe help you avoid a pitfall or two. ;)

AHHHHHHH Thanks so much guys!!

You were right about it needing to be in Stereo and panning it Left + Right. It sounds exactly like the headphone output now. This has been bugging me for weeks!

Time to get a new sound card I think as this one is only 2 inputs, so nobody gets to record live with me haha
I think I'm still bothered by the fact that combining them (electrically) caused this problem, i.e., it still sounds like a phase problem, doesn't it?

Can you put a plugin to convert the stereo to mono on the output bus of your DAW? (In GarageBand or Logic it's in the Gain plugin.) You should be able to toggle your "mix" between stereo and mono and keep the sound pretty consistent. If not, then switch the phase of one of the channels (might be in the channel or another plugin - again, Gain does that for me), and re-try the stereo/mono toggle.

Even if you get your inputs and outputs sorted, you may still find the piano sounds weird in headphones if the interfrace does not allow stereo monitoring.

My ancient ISIS interface allowed stereo or mono monitoring depending on what you wanted, whereas my (slightly) more recent Presonus doesn't.

I think I'm still bothered by the fact that combining them (electrically) caused this problem, i.e., it still sounds like a phase problem, doesn't it?

From what I understand that wasn't the case.
It seems like he was just running the left channel to his interface whereas now he's running left and right separately.

To change Stage 2 output to mono, do this: connect a TS cable from piano channel 1 into interface. Set interface input to line level (not instrument). On the Stage 2, hold down “shift” button, and click the Slot A/Mono button (mono indicator will light up). You are now running mono out of channel one instead of half of a stereo signal.

I generally prefer to run stereo signal out of Stage 2 into two panned inputs on the audio interface.

Back