Phantom help!

Jasperpinder

Hi
I use a old MD8 to record drums using four tracks. I only have two phantom XLR inputs. How can I get a third? Can I go XLR to a phantom power supply then go XLR to jack into my recorder line in??? Thanks

Hi
I use a old MD8 to record drums using four tracks. I only have two phantom XLR inputs. How can I get a third? Can I go XLR to a phantom power supply then go XLR to jack into my recorder line in??? Thanks

Well, you just might with drums. Normally a line input will not have enough gain for a microphone but the combination of the high SPL of drums and the high sensitivity of capacitor mics could mean it might work, after a fashion. The biggest drawback might be that the line input is unlikely to be balanced.

However, a decent single channel phantom power box will set you back about £30 and for not a lot more you could get a small, 2 mic input mixer and that will still serve you well when you eventually get (as you must!) an interface.

Dave.
A gash spook juice box will not be nearly so handy.

Well, you just might with drums. Normally a line input will not have enough gain for a microphone but the combination of the high SPL of drums and the high sensitivity of capacitor mics could mean it might work, after a fashion. The biggest drawback might be that the line input is unlikely to be balanced.

However, a decent single channel phantom power box will set you back about £30 and for not a lot more you could get a small, 2 mic input mixer and that will still serve you well when you eventually get (as you must!) an interface.

Dave.
A gash spook juice box will not be nearly so handy.

The MD8 has eight mic inputs but only two are xlr with phantom power. As a work around I used my small mixer a use for running in ears live for the third mic as it's got two XLR phantom inputs. I then went from the main out to my MD8 mic input! Hope that makes sense! Thanks

Ps
I recorded to the minidisc 8 track then mix down to DAT or my reel to reel! Ha Ha never go near a computer!! Ha Ha

Last edited:
Back